April 28, 2024, 12:05:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Combining concepts about boiling  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Needaask

• Mole Snacks: +6/-16
Combining concepts about boiling
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »
Hi I'm trying to combine some concepts about boiling with latent heat of vaporization as well as partial volume of gases.

When learning physical chemistry, I learned that when my liquid has an equal partial partial pressure as the external pressure (Ppartial pressure=Pexternal), the gas would be able to push away the atmosphere allowing the liquid to rapidly turn into a gas and escape. Would the reasoning for this be because the liquid is a real gas so in reality unlike an ideal gas, they do exert forces on each other (they do collide with other gas particles) rather than just on the walls of the container?

Then for latent heat of vaporization, I learned that once it reaches its boiling point, energy is required to overcome the intermolecular forces. So the temperature doesn't increase as heat is absorbed. But by just using this explanation there is no way to determine which temperature the liquid would boil at.

So how do I combine them together? Because by the partial pressure explanation it just means that boiling would occur when VP=Pexternal there's no reason about why the temperature remains constant during boiling and similar for the latent the explanation, there's no reason for why the boiling would occur at the specific temperature.

So I'm having some trouble linking them together actually. Thanks :)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Combining concepts about boiling
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

But by just using this explanation there is no way to determine which temperature the liquid would boil at.

There is (sort of): Trouton's Rule

Offline Needaask

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:20:04 AM »

But by just using this explanation there is no way to determine which temperature the liquid would boil at.

Ohh but it only gives an estimate of the heat of vaporization right (I just briefly read through the wiki page)

As for the partial pressure explanation I was thinking at 100 degrees of water it's vapour pressure equates to the external pressure. So it would vaporize rapidly. While for latent heat, at 100 degrees boiling takes place.

But I can't seems to connect them together in the sense that at 100 degrees why does the boiling at a fixed temperature when more heat is added to it while when the liquid is at 90 degrees, the temperature just increases.

And also, by just the vapour pressure concept I would think at 100 degrees its the same as at 90 degrees just that more vapour gets to evaporate and push away the gas more effectively. I wouldn't think that there is a difference between the 2 temperatures and I would even think that the liquid at 101 degrees would be better because now the vapour pressure would be greater than the external pressure so it could push the atmosphere away more effectively. But in reality we know that the liquid can't increase to 101 degrees.

So I'm not sure how to combine these 2 concepts together actually.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:23:24 AM »

Ohh but it only gives an estimate of the heat of vaporization right (I just briefly read through the wiki page)

Nope. Given heat of vap., it will tell you what temperature a liquid ought to boil at. Approximately.

Offline Needaask

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:02:52 AM »

Nope. Given heat of vap., it will tell you what temperature a liquid ought to boil at. Approximately.

Ohh. But still just by using the vapour pressure=external pressure explanation would hint to me that at 1 atm, if my water is at 101 degrees, it would boil at a even faster rate than when it boils at 100 degrees. So there's to relation to heat of vaporization whereby the temperature cannot increase to more than the temperature at which the vapour pressure=external pressure.

So how should i look at the concept of boiling here?

Sponsored Links