April 23, 2024, 06:01:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why does forming bonds release energy?  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Adamdiagne

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why does forming bonds release energy?
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
It is easy to understand how energy must be supplied in order to break bonds (Imagine using your strength to break a rubber band, using up your energy), thus how breaking bonds consume energy. However i find it difficult to find the logic behind how forming bonds releases energy  ??? I know that since forming bonds is the opposite process of breaking bonds, what happens also must be opposite (releasing energy is the opposite of consuming energy) but i would like to know the logic behind it.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Why does forming bonds release energy?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:50:24 PM »
This is a question with a lot of possible answers and I'm not sure which one will best satisfy you.

So let's ask a simpler one: Why does a ball roll down a hill?  When it does so, does it "release" energy?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Why does forming bonds release energy?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »
it might be helpful to remember that forming a bond doesn't release energy per se : there's a lot of substances around with a positive  Δ Hf  (with respect to the elements they're composed of)

hence, some bonds also might store energy

as a result a system will always form bonds "at free will" only when there is a net loss of energy for the system thereafter (and if kinetics allow for the process in the first place) - and otherwise has to be forced to do so by an input of energy into the system (or else nothing will happen)

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links