March 28, 2024, 01:53:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Temp, Ratios,time  (Read 2941 times)

Offline NotTooBrightTonight

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Temp, Ratios,time
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:14:06 AM »
Please do not flame me because I am new to chemistry, as well as this forum, Anyway I need to know when performing a chemical reaction, how to know how much reagent to use and at what temperature to re flux, and how long to re flux it for and why! is there a universal method to knowing this. and how would one apply this to a real chemical reaction. thank you for your help. sincerely NotTooBrightTonight :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:37:30 AM by Arkcon »

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Temp, Ratios,time
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:48:03 AM »
Please do not flame me because I am new to chemistry, as well as this forum, Anyway I need to know when performing a chemical reaction, how to know how much reagent to use and at what temperature to re flux, and how long to re flux it for and why! is there a universal method to knowing this. and how would one apply this to a real chemical reaction. thank you for your help. sincerely NotTooBrightTonight :P

At one level, you stir, cook, etc until it's done. How do you know when your reaction is complete?

On a different level, look to see if your reaction has been reported in the literature and base your conditions on that.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:09:11 AM »

how to know how much reagent to use

Depends. How much product do you want to make? Stoichometric proportions is a good start.

Cheap reagent is typically used in excess.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »
is there a universal method to knowing this.

Briefly, no.  As everyone else has said.  The question now remains, what specifically do you need to do, so we can figure out how to explain it to you.  The other question, why you thought there was a universal method to all understanding all chemical reactions -- from the weathering of rocks over millenia, to the rusting of iron, to biological reactions needed for life to continue, to explosions, well, that's all up to you to explain.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links