April 28, 2024, 11:38:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Smoke  (Read 3001 times)

SkyeBlue26

Smoke
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »
I am going to make a project about smoke turning it to liquid and i am going to use the concept about smoke liquid but the product is used for flavoring . Any ideas how to purify it and remove the flavor in a simple way

Offline tylercc

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Smoke
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »
distilling it might work, if you can remove calcium from water by distilling it, if you have enough smoke you might be able to collect it from the source run it through a cooling coil with ice around them and then in to a jar. But I have not tried it.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
I'm sad to say that I don't think you've thought this one all the way through.  I'm going to try to get you to think about each step, and see if you know, or can learn, what you really mean to do.

I am going to make a project about smoke

Awesome.

turning it to liquid

OK.  Now the idea begins to break-down.  Look up the definition of "smoke"  -- what is it?  If you think its a gas, you are wrong, simply put.  So the "turning it to liquid" is just nonsense.  You don't even back it up with some other ideas on how to accomplish it.

and i am going to use the concept about smoke liquid

I suspect we may have entered a murky realm of idiomatic expressions between different languages, so my comments here may not apply.  However, "concept about smoke liquid" means essentially nothing as I understand written English.  Consider this: "pure water has a boiling point of 100 °C."  That is a rational English statement regarding a physical property of a chemical substance.  If I said, "the concept of liquid water", what would that mean to you?

but the product is used for flavoring

Hmm... now I have heard of "liquid smoke", but that's water with flavorings added that resembles the flavors from smoky outdoor cooking. "Liquid smoke" being a cute name for a product, not a pure substance or a reasonably defined mixture.  And its made of other things besides smoke, the name notwithstanding.

Any ideas how to purify it and remove the flavor in a simple way

And I've lost track of what you're saying again.  Purify what and get what?  The flavor goes one way, the water goes another way and you want a handful of smoke "stuff".  Or maybe you mean something different?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:03:17 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:16:17 AM »
I agree with @Arkon for most part.

It might be interesting to bubble smoke through, say, water or dilute syrup  or a 20% ethanol in H2O (chilled) for a few hours and see what the resultant liquid tastes / smells like (after a filtration perhaps).

Only out of curiosity. That'd be a poor man's alternative "liq. smoke". If it works. Not sure.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
WIKI can be our friend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_smoke
Liquid smoke

I post this here to give background in case of further discussion

Sponsored Links