April 23, 2024, 08:30:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Role of TEA in amide coupling ?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline endophytic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Role of TEA in amide coupling ?
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:22:26 AM »
Let's say I want to form an amide from a carboxylic fatty acid and aniline.
I dissolve one eq. of acide and one eq. of the amine in DCM and add 1.3 eq of a coupling agent like EDAC or DCC and 1.3 eq of a coupling additive like HOBt.

Many times I can see in various paper that triethylamine is also added. What is the point ? What is the exact role of TEA here ? Is it necessary ?

Thanks for your insights  ;)

E.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Role of TEA in amide coupling ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
TEA is a strong base which catches the protons , even better than aniline
as a result, aniline is liberated from salt-forming with the organic acid, hence is in effect of higher "active" concentration

... which supports a fast reaction with good yields

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline endophytic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
Thanks Ingo.

Wich work up would you suggest knowing the amine is 4bromo-aniline and the acid is a diacid (suberic acid) so I should have a product with an amide, a saturated carbon chain and a terminal carboxylic acid ... I am in DCM an used TEA.

Should I dry the rxn mixture then dilute with aq. KOH filter then acidify the filtrate with HCl and filter my product ?? Does this seems like a correct work up or would you suggest a better alternative ??

Thanks,

E.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
problem seems to me, that you will have a statistical distribution of amide, diamide and non-reacted aniline by the end of you process.

hence:

I would start by removing all voilatile material, i.e. "drying"

the residue I would wash with slightly HCl - acidified water ./. DEE (removal of TEA as hydrochloride, removal of excess aniline ) . higher amounts of suberic acid might be insoluble in both layers, so filtration might be necessary / a good idea

the etheric layer then should consist of amide, diamide and suberic acid in etheric solution

as I expect the solubility of the suberic acid to be significantly higher ( 2,5 g/L , 20°C) than the respective solubility of the monoamide, I would wash with water once or twice

by now, it depends: KOH/water ? might form a soap and spoil the party, or might work and allow for separation from the diamide -  you'll have to test for that

anyway, recrystallisation or chromatographic workup looks like the final step to me

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links