April 26, 2024, 01:08:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thin Adhesive Film  (Read 2695 times)

Offline rdb90

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thin Adhesive Film
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
Hi there,

I'm trying to create some fingernail strips. I'm trying to find an adhesive film that would be safe to bond to the keratin in fingernails. I'd also like it to be acetone-soluble, although that's just a wish list item. I'm planning on adding things on top of this film.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Thin Adhesive Film
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »
Many adhesives are soluble in acetone, for instance neoprene glue, but...

Shall your customers put acetone on their fingers? That's not perfectly safe... Acetone dissolves the natural useful fats on the skin. I feel effects on my skin after occasional use, but nail polish can be a regular use. It also drives into the flesh some poisons being potentially on the skin.

Acetone has also a very strong odour that not everyone likes, and I have seen once an allergy to the vapour: impressive red eyes 5m away within 10s.

On Wiki they cite butyl acetate or ethyl acetate as a solvent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_polish

Chemistry companies like 3M offer film adhesives of varied thickness and composition. By checking their chemical compatibility list, you'd know what their solvents are.

Offline rdb90

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Thin Adhesive Film
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »
Thanks for the *delete me* It is greatly appreciated. You opened another door for me as I had not even thought of 3M as a potential supplier.

Just to clarify, when I said acetone soluble, I was trying to say that it would be soluble in regular Nail Polish remover. To the best of my knowledge, a large portion of these contain some parts acetone. Now that you've brought that to my attention, I will be more specific when speaking of this.

Thanks again!
:D

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62

Sponsored Links