March 29, 2024, 06:28:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HPLC Solvent system  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Mocook

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
HPLC Solvent system
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
Hello all,

How can i calibrate what solvent system is efficient for my mixture, is TLC solvent system practical to use (not the same column tho)? Im attempting to isolate a halogenated porphyrin.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: HPLC Solvent system
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
I suppose you could try it, if you've used ordinary TLC plates, and your HPLC column is definitely a normal phase column, and you stick to an isocratic run (one eluent, not mixing a gradient over time,) then yes you might get a good starting point for a separation.  You won't have to change too many things, and it will be a start.  But if things are very different, say you're using a reverse phase column, then no, you can't use TLC developing solvent to run the HPLC.  In that case, you can start with a quick literature, or even a Google search for the analyte, to see what sort of conditions you can start at.  In fact, probably best to work with the second option in any case.  I only mentioned the first option in case you were really stubborn. ;)  What column do you have?  And are you certain your HPLC detector can see your analyte?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
And do try a search on this forum -- the topic of HPLC of dervitized porphyrins did come up once or twice recently.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
For example, look at this Google result I found for an extremely perflorinated porphyrin.  http://www.researchgate.net/publication/230817114_Synthesis_of_highly_functionalized_fluorinated_porphyrins/file/504635147ec6db2e03.pdf  Its mostly about the synthesis, but they do mention the HPLC analysis.  They used a very short normal phase HPLC column, and they're eluent is simply dichloromethane. (Actually, a variety of non-polar eluents were used, based around dichloromethane, using fairly long columns)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
And here's a typical reverse-phase method: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1154376/?page=1

Sponsored Links