April 25, 2024, 10:51:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: "The Mole Drill" Worksheet  (Read 3820 times)

Offline 4evrastudent

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
"The Mole Drill" Worksheet
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
I have been given a worksheet with lots of dimensional analysis. It's primarily converting grams to moles and moles to particles. However, one question asks for the moles of a bolded atom. The compound I am dealing with is NH4OH, and the "H" in the hydroxide is bolded. The amount of moles is 5.75, so I would like to know, is my answer: 5.75 moles of hydrogen or 28.8 moles of hydrogen? I would assume it's 28.8 moles of hydrgoen because the only difference between the hydrogen in the ammonium and the hydrogen in the hydroxide is the amount and presence of the second element. However, I am not sure about this and would appreciate aid.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: "The Mole Drill" Worksheet
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Question is ambiguous. I would say there are 5.75 moles of THIS particular H (not every atom in a molecule is identical, even if they are indistinguishable after being separated). But the choice of the molecules is rather lousy, as existence of NH4OH is sometimes questioned (at best: even if it exist, it can't be isolated).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:13:07 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline 4evrastudent

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: "The Mole Drill" Worksheet
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
Thanks for your *delete me*

Sponsored Links