April 25, 2024, 01:32:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrochemical pH problem  (Read 6823 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Electrochemical pH problem
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:16:45 PM »
Calculate the pH of the cathode compartment for the following reaction given Ecell = 3.01 V when [Cr3+] = 0.15 M, [Al3+] = 0.30 M, and [Cr2O72-] = 0.55 M.

2 Al(s) + Cr2O72-(aq) + 14 H+(aq) → 2 Al3+(aq) + 2 Cr3+(aq) + 7 H2O(l)

I'm only just starting with electrochemistry problems and I'm not sure what to do. First of all I don't know how to work out how many electrons are being transferred in the formal cell reaction as above.

Other than that, I know that

[tex]E = E° - \frac{R \cdot T}{F} \cdot log_e(Q)[/tex]

We can evaluate Q with the exception of [H+], which is just what we want. T I must assume is 298.15 K. However, how do we find E° - right now there are 2 variables, E° and [H+]. And what does it mean by pH in the "cathode compartment" - this is just the value of [H+] which contributes to Q, right?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Electrochemical pH problem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »
The first thing I always do is write out balanced half-reactions for the reduction and oxidation.  Then you can easily identify which corresponds to your anode and your cathode, how many electrons are transferred, and etc.

Balancing half-reactions can be a little trickier than balancing normal chemical reactions.  You should seek out a good general chemistry textbook that explains how to do this, if you aren't sure.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Re: Electrochemical pH problem
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
Balancing half-reactions can be a little trickier than balancing normal chemical reactions.  You should seek out a good general chemistry textbook that explains how to do this, if you aren't sure.

I'm fine with balancing half-reactions, but how do I figure out what the components are in each of them? Is it just Al -> Al3+ and dichromate -> Cr3+, and then balance? I've got that done, don't worry.

That's going to help, because we can figure out what the expression for Q should be if we do it like that. To find [H+] it seems to me we must first find Q, which requires us to know E°. We aren't told E°. We need some way to circumvent this issue? Or do you think we have to just look up the E° values for the cathode and anode respectively and then have E°(cell)=E°(cathode)-E°(anode)?

Sponsored Links