April 27, 2024, 01:21:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: prreparation of LITHIUM TRIETHYLBORODEUTERIDE  (Read 2703 times)

Offline che-mistry

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
prreparation of LITHIUM TRIETHYLBORODEUTERIDE
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
Hi All,

Can anyone help me to prepare this reagent LITHIUM TRIETHYLBORODEUTERIDE. I need this reagent to reduce ester functionality with out effecting Carboxylic acid group. I already tried with LID and triethylboran but nothing much happend.

Thanx in advance...

regards
A chemist

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: prreparation of LITHIUM TRIETHYLBORODEUTERIDE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
did you look up the references given here: ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_triethylborohydride

(S.Aldrichem.Acta sounds esp. promising to me)

there should be some experimental details given, I suppose, which should work for the deuterated derivative, too

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Deuterated reagents are best purchased from a chemical vendor.  You can be more sure that you've gotten a pure reagent that way.  If deuterated compounds sit in solvents that contain hydrogen, an acid base reaction can cause you to lose the deuterium atom.  Chemical manufacturers work in large scale, specialized equipment that allows them to work quickly.  And they guarantee a certain purity specification.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline che-mistry

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
First of all I must thank for your valuable suggestions....

so here I tried the  mentioned conditions in Wikipedia but i didn't understand exactly how to know the purity of the reagent and deuterium percentage..That is  why I am searching for the exact experimental procedure...I will try this one more time  Thank you very much magician4.

I didn't find this chemical commercially in small scale. I contacted all the vendors here... so I don't have an option and I must to make this in my lab.. Thanx 4 your suggestion Arkcon..

Sponsored Links