April 16, 2024, 07:43:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Volume and Pressure  (Read 1702 times)

Offline oceanbreeze

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Volume and Pressure
« on: August 08, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
I'm stuck on these two questions.

Question 1: When piloting a hot air balloon, lift is attained by affecting the volume of the balloon, thus altering the density/buoyancy. If the air inside a balloon is initially 2.80x10^6 L and 80 degrees Celcius, what will the new volume be (assuming constant pressure) when the balloon is heated to 110 degrees Celcius?

Question 2: How many moles of gas would be in the 2.80x10^6 hot air balloon when the balloon is at 80 degrees Celcius and 1.00 atm of pressure?

Offline EDTA

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Volume and Pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »
Q1) You can use the formula V1/T1=V2/T2, just make sure you convert celsius degrees to kelvin.
Q2) Use pV=nRT for this one. Convert all units to standard forms.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Volume and Pressure
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »
When piloting a hot air balloon, lift is attained by affecting the volume of the balloon
This is a poor question
the above statement is untrue
But for your purposes I guess you are going to have to treat it as true (see EDTA response)

For those who want to know the truth
Lift in a hot air balloon is due to heating of the air inside which causes it to expand, but the volume of the balloon is fixed. The extra hot air escapes leaving a decrease in the amount of air inside the balloon. Since there is less air but the volume is still the same the density inside the balloon decreases. The difference between the density of the colder outside air and hot inside air causes static lift.
If there are hot air balloons that can expand during flight, they are most uncommon.

For the second part of the question, would you need to be given n?

Maybe I am missing something in the questions.

EDIT
I am so irritated I could eat iron and spit nails

Sponsored Links