April 20, 2024, 07:56:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what makes dimethyl ketone such a good solvent?  (Read 8491 times)

Offline iScience

• Mole Snacks: +4/-22
what makes dimethyl ketone such a good solvent?
« on: August 04, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
well.. is it the fact that it's a good solvent? or is it something else?

Offline gritch

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
  • Graduate Student: Inorganic Chemistry
Re: what makes dimethyl ketone such a good solvent?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:18:13 PM »
Acetone. I haven't heard it called dimethyl ketone ever. Sometimes I've even seen particular lazy people refer to it simply as "tone". It's pretty polar while still being aprotic and evaporates quickly enough not leave residue on glassware.

... that and it's absolutely dirt cheap.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
Ah ... I should have caught that sooner.  So thanks you to gritch:.  It seems to have been a meme, back in the day, that the last step of washing glassware was to rinse the last of the distilled water away with acetone, then "let it dry", so the moisture was gone.  Funny thing is, "let it dry" doesn't mean the acetone has disappeared, its either in the room, or vented out the hood, and into the local atmosphere.  So people are moving away from that.  And of course, the truly lazy (like me in my undergraduate days) wanted to skip all the elbow grease washes and just soak in solvent to clean.  But yeah, we're moving away from that.  FWIW, if you're removing moisture, any water miscible volatile solvent (alcohols, acetonitrile) will work the same -- you've diluted the droplets of water with solvent to evaporate.  Oh, and if you're using Piranha solution -- you definitely don't scrimp on the water washing, or the results are very dangerous.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline iScience

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:01:14 PM »
if it's just polar does't that mean oils won't get washed out that well? or anything non-polar?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »

This is quite ambiguous. I think part of the answers have to do with it being relatively cheap, volatile, and organic. Several answers are about washing organics off glassware, if you were in an auto mechanic's shop (50 yrs ago?), you could say this about gasoline. It would be used just as commonly.

If you are referring to acetone's ability to dissolve other compounds, I'd be hard pressed to claim its superiority. It will depend on what you are trying to dissolve. Some people really like DMSO to dissolve things. It is more polar, but that also limits its ability to dissolve non-polar compounds. Acetone is in a nice neutral area, not too polar, but still with enough polarity. It is miscible with water and hexane. It is just right.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
It has intermediate polarity.  It is miscible in both hexane and water.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
It's wide use is probably more economical than functional.  It's a byproduct of industrial phenol production (used heavily by the plastic industry), so there's a lot of it made every year. Frankly I never had much use for it other than a convenient way to counteract the "permanent" effects of the almighty Sharpie.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
IMHO, the only thing acetone really is "good" for as a solvent (i.e. besides cleaning up) is the prpn. of alkyliodides from other halides, following the Finkelstein pathway

... as for most of the other reactions in organic chemistry acetone is too reactive in its own right

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline iScience

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »
Acetone is in a nice neutral area, not too polar, but still with enough polarity. It is miscible with water and hexane. It is just right.

even still, how would it effectively interact with the non-polar tail of an oil? and just to be sure, an oil is completely non-polar right? or does it have a polar head group?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »
When you say "oil," do you mean triacylglycerol or petroleum oil?

Offline iScience

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:57:15 AM »
When you say "oil," do you mean triacylglycerol or petroleum oil?

well for oils with just a nonpolar tail component what would acetone do? it woudln't interact with it

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
It would interact via London forces.

Offline iScience

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
okay, but that's an effective means of interaction only if there is a large surface area to interact with. there exists a large surface area on the non-polar oil tail, but for acetone, there is nothing like that. so how would it effectively remove non-polar hydrocarbon chains off of glassware? ie.. how does it effectively enteract with them?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 03:21:02 PM »
On the other hand, what makes glass so attractive to the nonpolar tails?

Offline iScience

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 08:16:09 AM »
oh hey! i think i got it. so you're saying, although just a monomer of the glass doesn't do very much, since it's in an array, the whole provide the large surface area required for the van der waal's interaction between it and the large non-polar tail?

which, if i apply this to the dimethl ketone case, since the dimethyl ketone is polar, the acetone species interact with each other cohesively and the oily tails interact via... well at this point wouldn't it be an induced dipole interaction? since there is a predominant electric field direction eminating from parts of the acetone (since it is polar), thereby inducing a dipole in the constituents of the oily tail resulting in a net attractive force; and basically this way, the dimethyl ketone is actually dragging the oily tails along with the rest of the acetone fluid? is this correct?

Sponsored Links