April 19, 2024, 02:02:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tranfer of Non-Newtonian Fluid  (Read 3700 times)

Offline end3r

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Tranfer of Non-Newtonian Fluid
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:05:17 AM »
Hi there fellow engineers, I have a short story here

- I'm currently working with a non-newtonian fluid that sometimes goes up to 272 Pa ( ~80.000 cP)

- When I'm transferring from 1 tank to another I have a significant qty left either on the tank walls or on the pipes.

- I can only work on temp. - a got a bit closer to the upper limit in order to try to cope with this problem but I'm thinking about other ideas aswell

I'm wondering if there is any material / alloy which would allow a more efficient transfer, etc. My current pipes are kinda worn out although there were micropolished to 0.1 um, I think they lost this precision after 4 yrs of functioning.

I'd really appreciate if you can lend me some insights given your experience..

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Tranfer of Non-Newtonian Fluid
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
Hi end3r, welcome here!

What about making the pipe's inner face non-sticky? Something like a perfluorinated polymer, or silicone, so your liquid wouldn't wet it?

Or could you vibrate the tanks and pipes?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »
Teflon?

Offline end3r

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:37:37 AM »
Hi end3r, welcome here!

What about making the pipe's inner face non-sticky? Something like a perfluorinated polymer, or silicone, so your liquid wouldn't wet it?

Or could you vibrate the tanks and pipes?

his is quite interesting, so you're suggesting an inner coating of the pipes ? What do you mean when you say  "vibrating" the pipes. Can we please go into further detail ?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
Inner coating: yes, this is what I and Curiouscat suggest.

Vibrating: that's just an idea. Ketchup is thixotropic, hence non-newtonian, and one shakes the bottle to get the paste out. Similarly, you might secure at the pipes electric motors with eccentric masses. Though, not sure how long your equipment lasts; vibrate only when required.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
Inner coating: yes, this is what I and Curiouscat suggest.

Vibrating: that's just an idea. Ketchup is thixotropic, hence non-newtonian, and one shakes the bottle to get the paste out. Similarly, you might secure at the pipes electric motors with eccentric masses. Though, not sure how long your equipment lasts; vibrate only when required.

Never seen it for pipes but conveyor belts often do that. Just vibrating a stationary belt or hopper can cause gravel etc. to move down it.

Sponsored Links