April 27, 2024, 10:26:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: enzymes always protein. it this right?  (Read 11298 times)

baikuza

enzymes always protein. it this right?
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:33:52 AM »
greeting.

i have read my book. it said that ...we can said that enzyme always  protein. because we do not find any compound exept protein that cunstruct enzyme...
is this statement still valid?

i read a book. but i'd like to get the oppinion from the people in this forum. so... i want to ensure my self about this.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:enzymes always protein. it this right?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:13:42 AM »
In a minority of cases enzymes can also be RNA based(ribozymes).
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:enzymes always protein. it this right?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:36:13 AM »
These are the five dictionary definitions found on line.

enzyme - Any of numerous proteins or conjugated proteins produced by living organisms and functioning as biochemical catalysts.

enzyme - Any of numerous proteins or conjugated proteins produced by living organisms and functioning as specialized catalysts for biochemical reactions.

enzyme - any of numerous complex proteins that are produced by living cells and catalyze specific biochemical reactions at body temperatures

enzyme - any of several complex proteins that are produced by cells and act as catalysts in specific biochemical reactions

enzyme - <biochemistry> A protein molecule produced by living organisms that catalyses chemical reactions of other substances without itself being destroyed or altered upon completion of the reactions.

Enzymes are classified according to the recommendations of the Nomenclature Committee of the International Union of Biochemistry. Each enzyme is assigned a recommended name and an Enzyme Commission (EC) number.

They are divided into six main groups, oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases, lyases, isomerases and ligases.

Sponsored Links