April 25, 2024, 06:30:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: DIY - bathroom tiles - acid etching?  (Read 15201 times)

Offline gasbag

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
DIY - bathroom tiles - acid etching?
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
I'm looking for advice regarding acid etching ceramic and porcelain tiles to create an anti-slip surface.

I've previously used the following product, where the Active Ingredient is Sulphonic Acid < 7.5%

While the product definitely does work to a very slight extent, it doesn't etch and roughen the surface of the tiles anywhere near enough.  I am trying to find out which specific acid (and what approximate concentration) is the most effective at moderately-aggressively etching ceramic and porcelain tiles.  While there are numerous acids available that I can use (e.g. Hydrochloric, Phosphoric, Sulfuric), I just don't know which one would be the most effective for this purpose.  While I always wear protective gloves and glasses, I am not touching Hydrofluoric Acid - forget it.  Ultimately, I want the tiles to feel as close as possible to commercially available non-slip tiles (i.e. like ultra fine sandpaper texture).

I have already phoned and visited numerous tiling outlets and hardware stores, and the assistance I've been given is beyond useless.  I've also done lots of Internet searching but still haven't come up with any clear advice.  I'm hoping someone with knowledge here can offer some advice.

Thanks all.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: DIY - bathroom tiles - acid etching?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »
You may be out of luck -- ceramics are notoriously resistant to acid attack.  You might find some useful effect from very strong base, although I don't know how you're going to find very strong base for a d-i-y purposes, as well as use it safely.  Maybe you'd have decent results by mechanically roughing the surface.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »
When I want a anti-slippery surface on my pottery, I glaze them with a matte glaze.

On a side note, I have found that Bases are more difficult to sense that you are having injury occurring.

Offline gasbag

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:15:29 AM »
You may be out of luck -- ceramics are notoriously resistant to acid attack.  You might find some useful effect from very strong base, although I don't know how you're going to find very strong base for a d-i-y purposes, as well as use it safely.  Maybe you'd have decent results by mechanically roughing the surface.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

From the research I've done so far, acids are the chemical of choice in regards to etching tiles.  I have used a commercially available product which contains a mild acid (as per my initial post) and it does work....just not effective enough.  So acids do work, but it's just a question of which one(s) are best suited, and what concentration.

Bases?  I can readily access both acids and bases, but I have not come across anything that suggests bases/alkalis are suited to etching tiles of any sort.  Nothing at all.

In terms of some mechanical roughing/abrasive method - just not an option in this case.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Offline gasbag

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 03:20:40 AM »
When I want a anti-slippery surface on my pottery, I glaze them with a matte glaze.

On a side note, I have found that Bases are more difficult to sense that you are having injury occurring.

What I've bolded in your message above - I'm sorry, but you've confused me there.  Could you please explain?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:03 AM »
If you are willing to be brave try something like hot Chromic Acid mix or Piranha solution.

There's very few things that will resist those.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:56:52 AM »

What I've bolded in your message above - I'm sorry, but you've confused me there.  Could you please explain?
Acid burns are very painful and quickly detected, caustic (base) burns are not as painful and so a great deal of tissue dammage can occur before you realise you have had a spillage.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links