April 26, 2024, 12:59:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Retrosynthesis Help  (Read 6796 times)

Offline deezykem

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Retrosynthesis Help
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
I am taking a summer course on organic chemistry right now (bad idea) and it has been 8 years since my last chem experience.  I don't have a solid understanding of reactions yet, but we are getting close to the end.  I have a homework problem that is boggling me where to start (and finish), and would love some guidance on where my disconnects should be and what reagents do them.  Thanks for the help,  I have enjoyed reading other posts on here.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Retrosynthesis Help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
Consider the functional groups in our molecule.

How are these functional groups made?

Consider your starting materials.

What functional groups do you have, and what reactions can they take part in?

Try making some key disconnections first.

You must show you have attempted the question, this is a Forum Rule.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline deezykem

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:59:58 PM »
My bad, I forgot to upload my work so far.  I feel it is incomplete though

Offline salteen

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »
This isn't a bad attempt, except for the fact that LiAlH4 + H2O = Fire ..

If I were correcting this, I'd probably take a mark off for that.  What other solvent could you use instead?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
transformation #1 looks good to me, sofar

nevertheless, as the direct reaction of an amine and an acid (first step of seq. #3) is most difficult, i would propose to move on to the p-nitro benzoic acid chloride here (i.e: further reaction with SOCl2)

transformation seq. #2 : ok
(pls know that other setups are available for this transformation also, like for example Gabriel-synthesis and thatlike )

seq. #3. (see #1 for starters)
besides that, the final aldol reaction is possible, yes, but enolate addition to the acetaldehyde ( i.e 1 eq. LDA as pre-treatment for the ketone) and a very carefull workup (preventing of aldol condensation) would be my choice instead

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
Progress! The mixed aldol is the challenge here. How and when to do it.

In route, can you hydrolyze the ketal without hydrolyzing the amide?
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline TwistedConf

• Mole Snacks: +10/-2
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
nevertheless, as the direct reaction of an amine and an acid (first step of seq. #3) is most difficult,

Besides this fact that the reaction won't work--- your acetal would be gone before you even get the hot plate turned on.

You really need to make that amide under neutral or basic conditions.

Offline deezykem

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:35:47 AM »
This isn't a bad attempt, except for the fact that LiAlH4 + H2O = Fire ..

If I were correcting this, I'd probably take a mark off for that.  What other solvent could you use instead?
Doesn't the presence of ether stop the violent reaction of lithium aluminum hydride and water?

Offline deezykem

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
transformation #1 looks good to me, sofar

nevertheless, as the direct reaction of an amine and an acid (first step of seq. #3) is most difficult, i would propose to move on to the p-nitro benzoic acid chloride here (i.e: further reaction with SOCl2)

transformation seq. #2 : ok
(pls know that other setups are available for this transformation also, like for example Gabriel-synthesis and thatlike )

seq. #3. (see #1 for starters)
besides that, the final aldol reaction is possible, yes, but enolate addition to the acetaldehyde ( i.e 1 eq. LDA as pre-treatment for the ketone) and a very carefull workup (preventing of aldol condensation) would be my choice instead

regards

Ingo

Thanks!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
@OP, Can you think of other ways to form the amide bond?

Offline deezykem

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
We are stuck on that final part, I don't know how the LDA and SOCl2/NH3 works

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
I don't see SOCl2/NH3 above, but I do see just thionyl chloride.  Let me ask this question in another way.  Do you need a good leaving group, and if so, do you have a good leaving group when you have the free acid?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »
We are stuck on that final part, I don't know how the LDA and SOCl2/NH3 works
SOCl2 would be needed to transform an carbon acid to the respective acid chloride:

RCOOH + SOCl2  :rarrow: RCOCl + HCl + SO2
the acid chloride can / should be isolated

acid chlorides will react with amines to form amides  (without the problem of salt formation which otherwise would occur, if we'd use the acid instead with the amine, like in your original proposal):

RCOCl + H2N-R' --(NEt3)--> RCONHR' ( + NEt3 x HCl )

as a side effect, your acetal would remain intact, as you always will remain on the alkaline side due to the triethylamine excess

"LDA" ( LiNEt2) is what you would gain from reaction of butyllithium and diethylamine:
C4H9Li + HNEt2  :rarrow: C4H10 + LiNEt2
normally, it's no nucleophile worthy to mention, but a very powerfull deprotonator nevertheless, and will activate your ketone instantly:
R-CO-CH2-R' + LDA  :rarrow: [R-CO-CH--R'  :resonance: R-C(O-)=CH-R' ]Li  (+ HNEt3)
the resulting enolate/HNEt2 complex is much better than the OH- you originally proposed as a catalyst for the aldol reaction, esp. if it came to "mixed" aldol reactions ketone/aldehyde, both with respect to steering directions and with respect to yield

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
@OP, How does the use of thionyl chloride relate to the issue of leaving groups I mentioned?

Sponsored Links