October 15, 2021, 04:14:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting


Topic: Turning Mercuric Oxide into an insoluble Mercury compound.  (Read 1492 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline X8xScoutx8X

  • New Member
  • **
  • Posts: 3
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Turning Mercuric Oxide into an insoluble Mercury compound.
« on: August 11, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
Hi there,

I'm in a bit of trouble. I have a substance, specifically Mercuric Oxide, and I need to stop it from leaching into the soil when it rains. I need to somehow convert it to either Mercuric Sulfide, or some other insoluble Mercury compound.

If anyone has even a link or a little bit of information, it would be appreciated so so so much. We have very little Mercuric Oxide in the lab, so I can't just go out and start playing around with acidic reactions and such.

Thanks.

Offline Hunter2

  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1766
  • Mole Snacks: +131/-44
  • Gender: Male
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Turning Mercuric Oxide into an insoluble Mercury compound.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »
You can dissolve it in nitric acid. And then after neutralization you add sodium sulfide to it. But my question is why not give it to a special disposal. Mercury compounds should not get into the environment at all.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:58:32 AM by Hunter2 »

Offline Arkcon

  • Retired Staff
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7367
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Turning Mercuric Oxide into an insoluble Mercury compound.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:57 AM »
You've got two problems -- first mercuric oxide is pretty insoluble in water, so I don't know why you'd want to change it into another compound.  Second, you've missed something critical regarding bio-remediation of mercury compounds:  living things in the soil will always attack the insoluble compound, releasing it into the environment.  As an example, the typical way Pseudomonas species (one of the most toxin resistant species) deal with mercury compounds is to convert them to methylmercury.  That detoxifies their environment, its just too bad humans end up poisoned by breathing methylmercury.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links