April 25, 2024, 01:17:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What factors affect solubility of a solvent?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ligand

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What factors affect solubility of a solvent?
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
Hello, this is my first post and I'm glad to be on these forums. My question is mainly about creating a supersaturated solution. I already understand that temperature, pressure, and polarity of the solvent and solute greatly influence the solubility, but I'm looking for any other factors.

For example, I know ethanol is widely used as a solvent because it is polar and non-polar. This got me thinking, if there is water in ethanol, could one use a drying agent to remove the water from the ethanol and possibly allow it to hold more solute per unit? Or does water play an important role in solubility? Maybe mixing solvents together could help?

This is just a hypothetical - I won't be bringing ethanol anywhere near an open flame any time soon.

Thank you for any input and my apologies if this is in the wrong section. It seems like it would be relating to highschool level chemistry, though.

Offline rosa

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
Re: What factors affect solubility of a solvent?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:13:28 AM »
Hello,
Thank you for the question. Just to give  an addition. Presence of water in the solvent increases the solubility of polar solutes in the mixture. When ethanol is dried, more non polar solutes will be absorbed. The presence of water in ethanol will reduce the solubility of non polar solutes as the final volume of the solvent includes the volume of both water and ethanol.

Sponsored Links