March 28, 2024, 10:29:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Methods of detecting arsenic  (Read 8192 times)

Viper

Methods of detecting arsenic
« on: February 19, 2006, 09:36:39 PM »
hi, well i researched on how to detect the concentration of arsenic in water and found a bunch of ways to do it , but heres my problem. I have no idea what these methods mean. i searched all over the internet and still i couldnt find an explanation to any of those, so i thought maybe you guys would now. here are the methods.

•   Electro-thermal Atomic Absorption Spectrometric Method (method 3113 B).
This is the preferred method in the absence of overwhelming interferences.
•   Manual Hydride Generation/ Atomic Absorption Spectrometric Method (method 3114 B).
This is used when interferences that are present cannot be overcome by standard electro-thermal techniques.
•   Silver Diethyldithiocarbamate Method (method 3500-As B).
This method is applicable in determining total inorganic arsenic when interferences are absent and when the sample contains no methyl-arsenic compounds. This method also has the advantage of being able to identify and quantify arsenate and arsenite separately by generating arsine at different pH values.
•   Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP) Method. (method 3120 B).
This method is useful at higher concentrations (greater than 50 µg/L).
•   Inductively Coupled Plasma/Mass Spectrometry (ICP/MS) Method (method 3125).
This method is applicable at lower concentrations, if chloride does not interfere.

Any help or would be greatly appreciated. if you guys dont know what these mean please even just direct me in the right direction. Thanks a lot  :)

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
Re:Methods of detecting arsenic
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »
I don't know if this helps, but a very good detection reaction of arsenic is the Marsh test

Take a look at: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?board=24;action=display;threadid=4888

Viper

Re:Methods of detecting arsenic
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 03:31:07 PM »
thnx man that was helpfull  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:32:55 PM by Viper »

Sponsored Links