April 25, 2024, 04:33:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tylenol and the brain  (Read 4844 times)

Highschoolquestion

Tylenol and the brain
« on: September 06, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »
    I am doiing research for a science fair project and my topic is " how does tylenol chemically interact with the brain ? "

I am having tons of trouble finding information on the subject and was wondering if anyone knows the area in which I seek ?  I could use web addresses and books or encyclopedian help !  My request is small knowing I still have three to seven  months of information to research and form the scientific order.  I am new to the board and was just wondering if anybody could lead me in the right direction ! ???   

I f you were wondering I am in 10th grade !

Bravo Flight,
                                                                                                                                               C/TSgt. Batson

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Tylenol and the brain
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:26:48 PM »
You may want to start by looking up information on the active compound in Tylenol. Google acetaminophen or check wikipedia.

[Edit]
Also prostaglandins may be another keyword for you.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

lacramatory factor

Re: Tylenol and the brain
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:21:36 PM »
there has been a lot of recent work delving into the biochemically active species.

It appears that acetaminophen is hydrolysed to p-aminophenol (the same as p-hydroxyanline) which is subsequently acylated with a long chain fatty acid. In the brain, it is metabolized by the enzyme Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase (FAAH); an enzyme under intense study both at Merck and in the laboratory of Benjamin Cravatt. it's probably beyond the scope of a highschool class.... but for everyone else out there..give it a look-see..

You can probably find ALL the information you ever wanted to know for your class on wikipedia... it appears you should be interested in it's inhibition of a new isoform of cyclooxygenase COX-3,

Sponsored Links