March 28, 2024, 04:22:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The extraction of DNA  (Read 21662 times)

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re:The extraction of DNA
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 06:52:41 PM »
Why, exactly, would meat tenderizer be used?  I have seen some procedures on the web that call for this.  They say something about removing proteins that the DNA is attached to.  Would using Na acetate have the same effect?

Offline bryanh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Free the radicals
Re: The extraction of DNA
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 06:11:01 AM »
I think meat tenderizer is indeed used to degrade proteins that the DNA is bound to, and possibly to degrade cellular membrane proteins too. Both kiwi fruit and pineapples contain a similar enzyme (why we put pineapple on gammon steak) and DNA can be more easily extracted from them.
There are many different ways to extract DNA depending on what your getting it from and you want in terms of purity etc. For someone wanting to extract DNA at home the question is why they want to do this. If its just for some fun and to impress the chicks (in case you can't tell im being sarcastic) then there are very simple recipes on line to extract DNA from kiwi, you can actually see and pick up the long stringy molecule.

If your trying to extract your own DNA to clone yourself or build an army of supersoldiers or something then things get more precise and i'm not sure i'd like to help anyone out on this. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:02:42 AM by bryanh »

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 03:29:08 PM »
If your trying to extract your own DNA to clone yourself or build an army of supersoldiers or something then things get more precise and i'm not sure i'd like to help anyone out on this. 

I'm just trying to clone some of the pretty ladies.  I don't have the patience to wait decades for them to grow up, so I am kind of stumped on that point.   ;D

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 04:33:42 PM »
I don't have the patience to wait decades for them to grow up
I don't think this will be a problem if you are a paedophile. LOL.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline 2810713

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 04:37:18 AM »
I'm just trying to clone some of the pretty ladies.  I don't have the patience to wait decades for them to grow up, so I am kind of stumped on that point.   

Use hybridoma-like technology! Its fast! Believe me... ;) & I think u take face from actress A , lips of B, Legs of C, and [ i think , i should stop here...] ;)

& One confirmation that why the pineapple enzyme doesn't kill its own proteins is as the enzyme is in the vescicles and not free... BUt when we add soap it comes out, right?

caramon84

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 10:38:40 PM »
So anyone can help...what happen if water is added instead of alocohol and why?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 10:41:56 PM »
If you try to precipitate DNA with water instead of alcohol, it won't work.  DNA is soluble in water.

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 08:43:23 AM »
So anyone can help...what happen if water is added instead of alocohol and why?

in order to precipitate the DNA you need to get rid of the water that interacts with the DNA.

--> water thus has no effect (note that the phosphate backbone of DNA is negatively charged !)

Sponsored Links