April 23, 2024, 11:39:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Standard enthalpy of formation of acetone?  (Read 15029 times)

Offline illuminatus104

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Standard enthalpy of formation of acetone?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the standard enthalpy of formation of acetone. I put it into its formation equation, which is 3 C + 3 H3 + O ---> CH3COCH3. Now I don't know what to do. I'll keep cracking away - hopefully I have an answer before someone posts!

What if I write out the combustion reaction, add the standard enthalpies of CO2 and H2O and subtract those from the reactants acetone + O2? I'd have to solve for acetone, in which case I get -2037.9 kj/mol

Hm, I think the answer is −249.4 kJ/mol, based on the datapage for acetone on wiki. I'll try to get that
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:20:45 PM by illuminatus104 »

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Standard enthalpy of formation of acetone?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:47:26 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the standard enthalpy of formation of acetone. I put it into its formation equation, which is 3 C + 3 H3 + O ---> CH3COCH3. Now I don't know what to do. I'll keep cracking away - hopefully I have an answer before someone posts!

What if I write out the combustion reaction, add the standard enthalpies of CO2 and H2O and subtract those from the reactants acetone + O2? I'd have to solve for acetone, in which case I get -2037.9 kj/mol

Hm, I think the answer is −249.4 kJ/mol, based on the datapage for acetone on wiki. I'll try to get that

Try a balanced formation equation?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Standard enthalpy of formation of acetone?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
to calculate enthalpies ab initio is  a difficult task, and requires intense use of quantummechanical approaches.

Hence, almost all enthalpy data you'll find for whatsoever substances are measured, either directly or indirectly.

To measure the enthalpy of formation for acetone directly, i.e. to observe the process

6 C + 6 H2 + O2  :rarrow: 2 CH3COCH3

to he best of my knowledge is impossible, as this won't happen (i.e. is a purely theoretical process)

However, you might calculate the enthalpy of formation for acetone indirectly - if you knew the enthalpy of combustion for acetone , for example, and made use of Hess's law

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links