April 19, 2024, 11:33:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: List of Things that annoy us in articles.  (Read 10613 times)

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: List of Things that annoy us in articles.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
Well I didnt read that much papers but having 2 steps out of 4 with 100% yield both is quite surprising and suspicious.  Not that It cant happen but when you get instead of nice Fe-TETA complex which is required for step 1 some crazy mixture of I dont realy know what three times in a row while following exact procedure it gets annoying.
The worst for me is, that I cant realy distinguish if it was my mistake or if they forgot to add some important detail in their paper..

Offline Altered State

• Mole Snacks: +24/-4
    • Chemistry Hall
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
I'm really enjoying this thread. I'm just a student, so I can't contribute much, but I'm sure it will help me to not make these kind of mistakes in the future.

By the way, this would be kind of offtopic, but I want to ask if anyone could guide me to start reading some not so "advanced-level" papers that I could mostly understeand, since I just finished the second year of my Chemistry Degree. Any idea of where could I start? Most interest in Org Chem.
(If this is not the right place to ask, please let me know and I'll edit my post and go for another thread. If you see it appropriate, answer me by PM)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »
I'm really enjoying this thread. I'm just a student, so I can't contribute much, but I'm sure it will help me to not make these kind of mistakes in the future.

By the way, this would be kind of offtopic, but I want to ask if anyone could guide me to start reading some not so "advanced-level" papers that I could mostly understeand, since I just finished the second year of my Chemistry Degree. Any idea of where could I start? Most interest in Org Chem.
(If this is not the right place to ask, please let me know and I'll edit my post and go for another thread. If you see it appropriate, answer me by PM)

My advice is, start anywhere just be willing to accept you might only understand, say, 10% of a typical paper. :)

Also, be willing to look up or simply google lots of phrases. Even now, I'm lucky if I grok 40% of most papers, the trick is to take away what you can and keep building on it.

PS. Review papers might be a good start. They are harder to understand than a textbook but easier than a typical paper.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
Agreed with curiouscat: reviews are good for people who want to start digesting some of the peer reviewed literature. Most journals now feature concise reviews that can be read in a single setting.  Accounts of Chemical Research is also a nice journal where people can kind of offer birds' eye views of their own research.  Another option is perspective or commentary articles, which are more geared toward people with general science backgrounds. Most journals now feature these as well, including the ACS journals and the Nature subject journals.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »
Agreed with curiouscat: reviews are good for people who want to start digesting some of the peer reviewed literature. Most journals now feature concise reviews that can be read in a single setting.  Accounts of Chemical Research is also a nice journal where people can kind of offer birds' eye views of their own research.  Another option is perspective or commentary articles, which are more geared toward people with general science backgrounds. Most journals now feature these as well, including the ACS journals and the Nature subject journals.

One thing I really like about Nature / Sci. is their practice of shadowing most scholarly articles with a less technical commentary written  by a different expert.

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
So, where and how would you recommend me to look for and read papers or reviews? I prefer if its online or downloadable to a Kindle/eBook. I've chekced out that ACS website, and as I see 48 hours of access costs $35.00.. As I said I'm a student, 20 years old, and I can't spend much money freely, so it would be nice to be able to acces to some papers for free or paying a not so expensive suscription.

Also, any idea about what should I search to start? I know that like curiouscat said, I can start anywhere, but I'm totally lost...

Thank you so much

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »
You are student at college right? Go ask your teacher or ask in college library to get access to those papers. For individual its realy expensive but universities usualy pay for access to those databases so they can provide you with login / password or can tell you how to get into such database. Usualy, you will not have access to all papers (I canĀ“t get about 20% of those I would like) but it can be solved via library for example.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
So, where and how would you recommend me to look for and read papers or reviews?

How about a good old library?

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
I just find out that a SciFinder account that  the gave us last year still works. Is that a good soure of papers? I think so.

Where would you start? Any recomendation of what to search?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »
SciFinder will give you sources for the original literature and abstracts of the papers. You will still have to go retrieve the full information from a library.
You use it to find answers to specific questions and to do structure and/or substructure searches. So really unless you have something definite  to look for it won't help you much.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »
Any recomendation of what to search?

Lunar carbon.

Sponsored Links