April 28, 2024, 05:02:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question involving Purely and Polar covalents  (Read 3977 times)

Calypso

Question involving Purely and Polar covalents
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
This really isn't a homework question just more of a general..."I need more of an explanation" question hehe.  I'm having some difficulty with polar and purely covalents.  I can do Lewis Structures perfectly fine but figuring out how to classify them as either purely or polar has me running in circles as of right now.  I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable  chemistry whizs could give me a hand  :P

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Question involving Purely and Polar covalents
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »
What is "purely"? Do you mean the difference between covalent and polar covalent? In general when there is a large difference in electronegativity between two atoms they will form an ionic bond. When the electronegativities are similar they will form a covalent bond. When there is some difference in electronegativity but not a lot then they will form a polar covalent bond. Remember that covalent bonds occur when atoms share electrons fairly equally while ionic bonds are formed between ions that would prefer to retain or donate electrons.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:03:08 PM by mike »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Calypso

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:13:23 PM »
Oh whoops I am sorry, my chemistry book refers to them as purely covalents...o_O.  Thank you for the much needed explanation!

Offline arnyk

• Mole Snacks: +4/-3
  • D'oh!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:56:04 PM »
A purely or "truly" covalent bond would be when the electronegativity difference is zero.  So when would that occur?

Sponsored Links