April 28, 2024, 10:54:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: low concentration concern  (Read 2398 times)

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
low concentration concern
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
Hi y'all,

I was planning to modify the endgroups (i.e. both the -OH) of a PEG M ~ 35,000 by tosylating them

thinking of approx 1 g PEG in 10 ml of solution, the theoretical conc. for 1:1 reaction would be in the ballpark of 0.005 mole / L for both hydroxy and tosylchloride - which gave me concern about maybe very long reaction time required

on the other hand, grossly increasing the tosylchloride part (just to speed things up) would pose the problem of removal of the excess - which is a headscratcher in its own right

any ideas / reassurance / helpful remarks would be greatly appreciated

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: low concentration concern
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »
Have you considered a solid phase reaction of the excess onto, say, aminopropyl modified silica gel? Could get expensive!

Bit of a tough one this!

“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:29:05 AM »
Have you considered a solid phase reaction of the excess onto, say, aminopropyl modified silica gel?
no, I didn't
with respect to any route involving removal of excess tosylchloride, my first idea was dry, fine powder of common household sugar  (and having a suspension with it , as I basically was thinking of some THF or thatlike as general solvent, where sugars should be next to insoluble)
as I said, the "excess" approach still is another headscratcher in its own right (and I would like to avoid it , of course)

my hope was that someone came along and said " 0.005 * 0.005 with tosylchloride / hydroxy: no problem" or something like that, or maybe had a suggestion for a catalyst ...

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
I'm guessing that you already have seen this:
Convenient synthesis of α-tosyl-ω-tosyloxypoly(oxyethylene)
Die Makromolekulare Chemie, Rapid Communications
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 53–56, February 1985
Rik J. De Vos, Eric J. Goethals
DOI: 10.1002/marc.1985.030060202

I don't know of any catalysts beyond the usual suspects.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »
I'm guessing that you already have seen this:(..)

thank you for the hint, and yes, I knew that one

problem is: this literature is dealing with M ~ 2,000 to 4,000
... and I wanted to modify PEG of ~ 35,000

this makes both relevant concentrations (i.e. hydroxy and tosylchloride) like 10 to 20 times smaller, and hence - given that the reaction most probably is second order - the speed like 100 to 400 times more slow
... i.e. would expand each and every "usual" hour to next to a week

anyway, thank you again

regards

Ingo
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links