April 23, 2024, 10:37:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Intermolecular Forces In Rubber  (Read 11216 times)

Offline cclar56

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Intermolecular Forces In Rubber
« on: August 30, 2013, 07:04:54 AM »
What are the intermolecular forces acting on vulcanised cis-polyisoprene and vulcanised neoprene, and where are these forces located on both polymers? Both polymers are vulcanised using sulphur.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Intermolecular Forces In Rubber
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:57:53 AM »
You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

Please read the forum rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cclar56

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
I hope this classifies as an attempt. I have found that there is no polar group in polyisoprene, which means that the intermolecular forces are weak van der wall forces of attraction, also known as dipole-dipole forces (http://www.chemistrylearning.com/rubber/). I can't remember where I found it, but I am pretty sure that the intermolecular forces acting on vulcanised neoprene are the same as those acting on vulcanised polyisoprene. From this I looked up dipole-dipole forces and found that they are attractive forces that act between the positive end of one polar molecule and the negative end of another polar molecule (http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/liquids/dipdip.html). This is where I get stuck. I have diagrams of vulcanised polyisoprene and vulcanised neoprene, but I am not sure where the intermolecular forces occur.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:56:40 PM by cclar56 »

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
The aim of vulcanization is to create new chemical bonds between the macromolecules.

Offline cclar56

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
So what does that mean exactly? Are their no intermolecular forces because the polymers are vulcanised? Am I on the right track in my attempt of did I veer off course somewhere?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
So what does that mean exactly? Are their no intermolecular forces because the polymers are vulcanised? Am I on the right track in my attempt of did I veer off course somewhere?
Vulcanization is a form of polymer crosslinking - forming covalent bonds between individual polymer molecules.  There will still be "intermolecular" forces (van der Waals, London dispersion, etc.) but the newly formed covalent crosslinks are much stronger and so dominate macroscale properties,

"Intermolecular" has ambiguous meaning with polymers anyway, because they are so big and have many distal parts. Two ends of a single polymer chain can interact with each other by van der Waals forces - are they intermolecular or better described as intramolecular?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline cclar56

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »
Ok. It is part of my assignment to show where the intermolecular forces are on the molecules, so am I better of saying that due to the sulphur cross-links any intermolecular bonds that are in the molecule are considered redundant as intermolecular forces are so much weaker than intramolecular forces?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »
Honestly, the only way this question makes sense to me is that it's asking for what the products of vulcanization look like -where do the sulfurs go. However, calling them "intermolecular forces" seems strange to me.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links