April 28, 2024, 03:00:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrode equilibrium  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Electrode equilibrium
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
H3AsO4 and K4Fe(CN)6 are dissolved in water in a stoichiometric ratio. What will the [H3AsO4]/[H3AsO3] ratio be at equilibrium if pH = 2.00 is maintained? Given: Fe(CN)6]3–/[Fe(CN)6]4– has Eº4 = +0.356 V, and H3AsO4 /H3AsO3 has Eº5 = +0.560 V.

I'd tried asking the same question a while back and got no response so if you doubt my effort you may look at that thread: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=70105.msg252505#msg252505

Recently I looked at the solutions and saw a formula which, since the last time I attempted this problem, I have also seen elsewhere. It was the formula for Eeq here: http://www.titrations.info/potentiometric-titration-equivalence-point-calculation. However I don't consider the problem solved because I can't see why that formula is applicable to this situation or how to use it. And in any case I would like to understand the solution from first principles, and surely the problem did not require this formula to be known from beforehand.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrode equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
The formula is derived and explained on the titration.info page, it doesn't appear from nowhere.

It applies here as you were told stoichiometric amounts were mixed. That's equivalent to reaching equivalence point (pun not intended).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
Ok, maybe if I show a method I tried recently you can tell me where I'm going wrong. I first write out the redox equations for each couple:

H3AsO4 + 2H+ + 2e- ::equil:: H3AsO3 + H2O ... Rxn 1

[Fe(CN)6]3- + e-  ::equil:: [Fe(CN)6]4- ... Rxn 2

Now the more negative E° reaction is going to be subtracted from the more positive E° reaction. Thus we perform Rxn 1 - 2 * Rxn 2:

H3AsO4 + 2H+ + 2[Fe(CN)6]4-  ::equil:: H3AsO3 + H2O + 2[Fe(CN)6]3-

And this is the reaction going on in solution. It does not matter whether we are at equivalence point or not. Now we can find the E° of this reaction as +0.204.

Now maybe the fact comes in, that we're at equivalence point and a stoichiometric amount of the two substances has been added together. Again, this comes down to exactly how to define this "stoichiometric amount": [H3AsO4] = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]3-] and [H3AsO3] = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]4-] maybe?

Am I on the right track so far?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
Again, this comes down to exactly how to define this "stoichiometric amount": [H3AsO4] = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]3-]

OK

and [H3AsO3] = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]4-] maybe?

Why do you include these? You are mixing REACTANTS in the stoichiometric ratio, at this stage products don't matter yet. (Doesn't mean this equation is wrong, it is just not part of the information about INITIAL concentrations).

You know several things:
- initial ratio of concentrations,
- potentials of both half reactions at equilibrium will be identical,
- reaction equation (which defines reaction stoichiometry).

That means several equations - just write them down and solve.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
Is that formula actually correct? Since we are mixing reactants, shouldn't that mean that [H3AsO4]eq = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]4–]eq, since these are the two substances we start with? And in any case, if this is the initial composition of the mixture we create by combining the two substances, how can we say that this equation is necessarily true at equilibrium?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
Is that formula actually correct? Since we are mixing reactants, shouldn't that mean that [H3AsO4]eq = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]4–]eq

Sorry, I thought that was what you wrote, my mistake.

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
Ok. But is it

[H3AsO4]eq = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]4–]eq

that is true (along with correspondingly [H3AsO3]eq = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]3–]eq), or is it

n0(H3AsO4]) = 1/2 * n0([Fe(CN)6]4–) where n0(H3AsO4])/V = [H3AsO4]eq + [H3AsO3]eq and n0([Fe(CN)6]4–)/V = [[Fe(CN)6]4–]eq + [[Fe(CN)6]3–]eq

Which one?

From the former, I used the calculated value of K for the reaction in post #3 and then expressed K as [H3AsO3]eq3/([H3AsO4]eq3 * [H+]2) leading to a value of 0.137 for the [H3AsO4]eq/[H3AsO3eq ratio. This is in slight disagreement with the solutions' answer of 0.107 but those solutions are known for being inexact. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:51:55 PM by Big-Daddy »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
Ok. But is it

[H3AsO4]eq = 1/2 * [[Fe(CN)6]4–]eq

You are told about INITIAL concentrations being STOICHIOMETRIC, why do you try to apply it to equilibrium?

It may happen that this equation will hold at equilibrium, but you don't have to know it to begin finding the solution. Instead of trying to describe the system in the most simple and obvious way, you are trying to make it more and more confusing.

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
You are told about INITIAL concentrations being STOICHIOMETRIC, why do you try to apply it to equilibrium?

It may happen that this equation will hold at equilibrium, but you don't have to know it to begin finding the solution. Instead of trying to describe the system in the most simple and obvious way, you are trying to make it more and more confusing.

I am just looking for the method that gives the answer in the most straightforward possible way. Yes, you're right, this

n0(H3AsO4) = 1/2 * n0([Fe(CN)6]4–) where n0(H3AsO4])/V = [H3AsO4]eq + [H3AsO3]eq and n0([Fe(CN)6]4–)/V = [[Fe(CN)6]4–]eq + [[Fe(CN)6]3–]eq

seems probably better to me. But let's discuss the method for solving from there. The redox potentials of the two half-reactions are equal at equilibrium, thus I can set E (H3AsO4 Couple) = E ([Fe(CN)6]4– Couple). The method then is to replace the two cyanide-containing complex ion terms with equivalent expressions for the acid terms, so that we are left no longer with too many variables, and can solve the equation for the ratio. But I think one more equation is needed because if we try to substitute in for one of the iron complex terms (using rearrangement of the "stoichiometric amount" equation I wrote above), we'll end up with an expression that contains the other, leaving us unable with just this info to reduce the equation of all variables except the two acid terms.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:03:28 PM by Big-Daddy »

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
Will it help me get a response to rephrase my comment?

My two equations are

[tex]c_{H3AsO4,eq} + c_{H3AsO3,eq} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot ( c_{Fe^4,eq} + c_{Fe^3,eq} )[/tex]

and

[tex]E°_{H3AsO4} - \frac{RT}{2F} \cdot ln(\frac{c_{H3AsO3,eq}}{c_{H3AsO4,eq}}) = E°_{Fe^4} - \frac{RT}{F} \cdot ln(\frac{c_{Fe^4,eq}}{c_{Fe^3,eq}})[/tex]

Where I have abbreviated the complex ion forms with their overall charges.

I don't see how a solution (requiring the Fe4 and Fe3 concentration terms to be eliminated) follows directly from this?

Sponsored Links