April 26, 2024, 01:25:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: changing properties of water  (Read 3178 times)

Offline ona

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
changing properties of water
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
I need help. I know nothing about chemistry. Trying to learn but it is all self taught.
My question to you if you can answer it, Is there a chemical or a combination of chemicals that has a cold  constant temperature
say 30-50 degrees fahrenheit? Is there a chemical that could be added to water to raise its freezing point to 50-70 degrees? Simply put I want a chemical that stays cold like ice(or close to it say 30- 50 degrees) in a constant external environment temperature of 90 degrees and stay that way at least for 5 hours. It seems like I am asking for the moon with my ignorance of chemistry.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:24:16 AM by Borek »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: changing properties of water
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:32:36 AM »
Simply put I want a chemical that stays cold like ice(or close to it say 30- 50 degrees) in a constant external environment temperature of 90 degrees and stay that way at least for 5 hours.

Poorly defined problem (and most likely without a satisfying solution). If you take a cubic mile of water and put it in a 90 deg F environment for several hours, you won't be able to notice any temperature change. If you take a single mL of water and put it in a 90 deg F environment, it will heat up to the environment temperature in minutes, unless isolated in a Dewar flask. So, which one are you aiming at?

Not to mention the fact you can't raise the freezing point, you can only lower it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
It seems like I am asking for the moon with my ignorance of chemistry.

Yes you are.  You're looking for a chemical addition to an (I assume) reasonable quantity of water, and avoid interaction with a different temperature environment totally.  You're asking for something that would consume a lot of energy, with no energy added on your own.  This comes up from time to time, and I really think that anyone, science knowledge or not, would realize that you simply can't add something to create a refrigerator from thin air.  Otherwise the world would be a very different place.  Consider, if we had such a chemical existed, and was a natural product -- an occasional mineral or a biological product -- we'd have icy lakes in Earth's deserts sometimes.  Or occasional ice floes in temperate summertime lakes.  Image if disasters like the Titanic happened all the time.  We might not even have survived.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Fe$phi

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
okay so imagine dissolving ammonium nitrate in water then freezing that, my thought process is that as the it freezes the saturated solution allows the ammonium nitrate to precipitate out while being stuck in the now solid water/ice then when you put that in water as it melts you hit the ammonium nitrate and it cools of course you would need something else if you were to consume it and its not quite what you're looking for but with that idea it could be a different solution to the same problem

Offline ona

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:51:35 AM »
To Borek,Arkcon,Fe$phi

Thank you all for responding. I thought for sure no one would respond.
I guess I was asking for the moon. And Arkcon I like your metaphors. It made me laugh.
One thing confuses me though. I believe it was Issac Newton that said everything has a equal and opposite reaction.
That is what prompted me to this type of thinking and I guess it is not true always.
I thought we make and research all type of chemicals and some one would have made or create a chemical like the one I am searching for by now with all the technology and supercomputers they have now days.
Since we are going into nano technology and manipulating things at that level it was possible.
I will stay in touch this site and post more imagining questions that I have.
Thanks again people :)

Sponsored Links