April 24, 2024, 09:42:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Silver Oxidation kinetics and how to prevent it  (Read 4900 times)

Offline nhamed

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Silver Oxidation kinetics and how to prevent it
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
Hey guys,
 I have some Problems with silver!
I need a Silver layer coated on silica (SiO2) and a Silver oxide layer at top of the Silver layer.

I have Coated SiO2 with silver using routine mirror silvering method (Silver nitrate reduction using glucose and ammonia). It seems that silver layer begin an oxidation reaction. It sounds good! The Silver oxide layer forms automatically! But I can't stop it in a desired thickness of silver Oxide.

Is there a method to stop oxidation in a determined time? I mean can I stop the reaction 2 days after coating, for example?

Special Thanks!

Offline NobleMetalWorks

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Silver Oxidation kinetics and how to prevent it
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:03:25 AM »
Hey guys,
 I have some Problems with silver!
I need a Silver layer coated on silica (SiO2) and a Silver oxide layer at top of the Silver layer.

I have Coated SiO2 with silver using routine mirror silvering method (Silver nitrate reduction using glucose and ammonia). It seems that silver layer begin an oxidation reaction. It sounds good! The Silver oxide layer forms automatically! But I can't stop it in a desired thickness of silver Oxide.

Is there a method to stop oxidation in a determined time? I mean can I stop the reaction 2 days after coating, for example?

Special Thanks!

All the silver that is exposed to oxygen, will oxidize, once the entire surface has oxidized, it will then protect and prevent the silver under from being further oxidized.  Oxidation will stop of it's own accord.

The only other way to stop oxidation is to keep the silver plated material in an inert gas environment, or to coat or plate it with something else but then that seems like it would defeat the entire purpose of having an oxidized layer, I assume you need to silver oxide layer for a specific reason.

Scott

Offline nhamed

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Silver Oxidation kinetics and how to prevent it
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:53:18 AM »
Thank you Mr. Scott!

Sponsored Links