April 26, 2024, 09:14:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Getting ready for Organic Chemistry Extension  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Altered State

• Mole Snacks: +24/-4
    • Chemistry Hall
Getting ready for Organic Chemistry Extension
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
Hi there
Next september 9th I start a new year of my chemistry degree and one of my subject is "Organic Chemistry Extension", the third organic chemistry course I take (I've already passed org 1 and 2 last year).

In order to prepare this course I'd like to ask you for advice so I can be ready to learn the most I can and to get the higher mark possible.
So, these are the contets for this course. I've just translated it from Spanish, so I'm sorry if there is any mistake.

Organic chemistry 3
1.   Alpha position to carbonile group reactivity: enols, enolates, tautomery. Reactivity and regioselectivity. Mannich, Claisen, Dieckmann.
2.   Difunctional organic compounds: Diols, hidroxi- and aminocarbonilic compounds. Dicarbonilic compounds alpha and beta insaturated.
3.   Nitrogen organic compounds: Nitrocompounds, oxymes, diazocompounds, azides.
4.   Sulfur organic compounds: Thiols, sulphures and disulphures. Sulphonic salts, carbanions sulphur-staibilized.
5.   Phosphorus and Silicon organic compounds: Organophosphorated. Carbanions phosphorus-stabilized. Silicon compounds, preparation and reactivity.
6.   Heterocyclic compounds: Heterocycles reactions. Anomeric efecto. Ring-closing reactions. Pyrroles, pyridine, thiophene, furan…
7.   Carbohydrates and nucleic acids
8.   Amino acids, peptids and proteins

I those days I have before course starts I'll review all the contents from Org 1 and 2, but I need you to tell me if there is something I should start reading ASAP, or any concept that I will need to understeand, or what ever.

Thank you very much.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Getting ready for Organic Chemistry Extension
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:01:50 AM »
A lot of this content will involve detailed reaction mechanisms, I would start by reading over that subject.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
@Altered State:

Are you posting a similar post for every darn subject you have to study next semester?

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:23:27 PM »
Seems so, but as I did it I realized that theres is not much anyone could tell me   ???
Hope it did not disturb you all, moderators can close if they want.
Regards

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »
Seems so, but as I did it I realized that theres is not much anyone could tell me   ???
Hope it did not disturb you all, moderators can close if they want.
Regards

Personally, I'd be lot more likely to help if you asked about one or two.

If you post en masse, assembly line mode with cookie cutter cut-n-paste from every syllabus it just seems too repetitive & redundant.

Think of it like this: If this weren't a free forum, and it cost you $20 per post would you have still posted them all?

Offline Altered State

• Chemistry Hall
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:56:40 AM »

Personally, I'd be lot more likely to help if you asked about one or two.

If you post en masse, assembly line mode with cookie cutter cut-n-paste from every syllabus it just seems too repetitive & redundant.

Think of it like this: If this weren't a free forum, and it cost you $20 per post would you have still posted them all?

I admit it did it wrong, you are right.
I've already rectified and asked moderators to delete them but this and the "physical chemistry" one, which scares me the most, because I'm not so good at maths :)

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:48 AM »
If you say so I would rather practice maths.

Sponsored Links