April 26, 2024, 12:38:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Correlation between pH of a solution, and its respected solubility?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline X8xScoutx8X

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi there. I'm in a bit of a dilema, is this is my final assignment for Chemistry in high school so its kind of important...

Basically, I have a question that can be pretty simply answered.
I have some two solutions of copper sulfate. Both are super saturated i.e. there's more copper sulfate than the water can absorb, so there's remnants in the bottom.

If one of them (A) is , say, a pH of 2, and the other (B) is a pH of 10, which one would have a greater concentration? This source here (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090307094956AAvcFg9) says that the pH is inversely correlated with the solubility; in the case stated, this would mean that the pH 2 substance (A) would absorb more copper sulfate than the pH 10 substance (B).

Is this true? And can anyone explain it more precisely? The description given in other places on the web is either too simple (like the one shown) or too complex (like this onehttp://www.chem.queensu.ca/people/faculty/mombourquette/firstyrchem/solubility/index.htm#pH)

Any help would be appreciated.

(For the record, my substance is Mercuric Oxide - not copper sulfate. Its virtually insoluble, but the value is still there (0.0053 g/100ml) and I'm just making up the results because I don't have any other option [teacher won't let me do a different substane, and its due in 48 hours]).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Correlation between pH of a solution, and its respected solubility?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:09:03 AM »
I am afraid the second link you posted shows exactly what you are looking for - it explains whys an hows of the dependence of the solubility on pH.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links