April 29, 2024, 08:54:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to measure temp of liquid corrosives.  (Read 4903 times)

Offline atrum

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to measure temp of liquid corrosives.
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:51:38 PM »
hello all,

I am not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a way I can use a standards digital temperature probe to measure the temperature of a corrosive compound with out compromising the temperature probe.

Maybe by using a thermometer well?
If that is the way to go is there a way I can make one out of a pipette ?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to measure temp of liquid corrosives.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
Your standard laboratory thermometer is typically made of fairly resistant glass.  If you have to use a digital probe, you'll have to make sure with the vendor that its compatible with your sample, they may sell you a more expensive, more resistant probe.  I haven't heard of a diy thermometer, but I suppose they are possible.  You're insisting on taking roundabout methods to solve your problem.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline atrum

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

I am not considering making a diy thermometer just a thermometer well for my digital temp probe.

I agree that making my own thermometer would be quite a roundabout method of getting to my goal; thus I wouldn't even attempt it.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »
It will not will not last forever and will need tape replacing once and a while, but get some plumber's teflon tape and wrap it around the probe very carefully leaving no spaces.  This worked well enough for a stainless (I assume) metal probe to monitor the temp of a reaction occurring in 100% nitric acid.  Do not skimp on tape.

Offline atrum

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
Thanks,

What about Glass Tape?

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
I know nothing of the chemical resistance of glass tape, nor do I know exactly what it is so I cannot comment. 

Offline dodge305

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
Be careful using glass. Many corrosives (ie. hf acid) are very good at eating through glass.  The Teflon tape suggestion is a good suggestion as long as there are not exposures to the probe itself.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
Thermowells are an option. Indeed they are widely used industrially.

Downside is, they do have thermal inertia so you'll need to wait to get a good reading.

Thermowell material selection depends on what your corrosive is, but typically well will be filled with an oil for thermal contact. If you want to splurge, hastealloy, titanium or tantalum / teflon coated Stainless Steel will resist a lot of nasty stuff.

I do suspect you'll be killing a mouse with a cannon if you go this route.

Offline gapeev

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »
What is that "corrosive compound"? Will teflon sheath work? 

Offline atrum

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »
Sulfuric Acid is the primary corrosive I will be using. I am attempting to Nitrate Phthalic anhydride to 3-nitrophthalic acid.

Sulfuric acid, and Sodium Nitrate are the main chemicals in this experiment. I would much rather use a thermocouple rather than a glass thermometer due to accuracy, and  not risk destroying my equipment if I can avoid it.

I am aware that any coatings or media between the thermocouple and my solution will delay an accurate reading.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:46 AM »
I still don't understand your use of the term 'accuracy' here.  Typical glass laboratory thermometers a very accurate, when read by people with a few minutes of training, who care about their answers.  A thermocouple connected to a digital readout is, almost by definition, less accurate.  A bit more convenient perhaps, a bit more easy for documentation if it auto-prints results -- sure.  But don't make the mistake of assuming if it has 3 places past the decimal, tose numbers are guaranteed to mean anything.  Furthermore, glass is perfectly resist ant to most common laboratory reagents -- and you haven't mentioned that you're working with a beaker full of HF, or fused alkali.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links