April 19, 2024, 05:09:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: General Chemistry 1  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Technologic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
General Chemistry 1
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
Hi I'm new here,

I'm currently studying w/in a premedical track at my university.

Math background:
• I completed Introduction to Algebra and received an "A."
• I just completed Intermediate Algebra and received an "A."
• I will now be taking precalculus this semester.

Chemistry background:
• Last chem class taken was more than 5 years ago in high school, but I received an "A" in it.

My university offers Introductory Chemistry (remedial course), and a General Chemistry 1A course.

Introductory Chemistry                   
• Doesn't count toward credit.
• No prerequisites required.
• No Lab
• Topics will include chemical formulas and equations, stoichiometry, descriptive inorganic chemistry, behavior of gases and atomic structure.

General Chemistry
• Counts toward 4 credits
• Prerequisite: students should have a previous or concurrent Precalculus course.
• Lab is required.
• The primary concepts to be explored include stoichiometry, chemical reactions, thermochemistry, gases, atomic and molecular structure.

Brief information: My professor sent everyone an email since school starts next week, and she said that if students are "weak" in algebra then she advises students to take intro to chem. I completed both Intro to Algebra and Intermediate Algebra and got an A in both classes. When she refers to "algebra" it just seems a bit vague b/c there's a few algebra courses (Intro to Algebra and Intermediate Algebra), and then there's a precalculus course (I'm assuming this is similar to algebra 3?). So when she says algebra, I want to know which algebra does students have to fully understand before taking General Chemistry IA???

I did speak w/ an advisor, and I was told that I signed up for the right classes. Although, I felt my questions weren't really answered. I care about my grades, so I really need help figuring this out.

Here's my questions:
1.) Which math course is mainly used in General Chemistry IA?
2.) Is Intermediate Algebra enough preparation to enter General Chemistry IA.
3.) Should I take Introductory Chemistry or General Chemistry IA?
4.) Would you suggest taking Precalculus with General Chemistry IA?

5) Is it possible to take both Introductory and General Chemistry IA and succeed?

-Reason I ask this is b/c there's only one good chemistry professor teaching General Chemistry IA this fall, and I wanted to take her while she's teaching it. She's not teaching General Chemistry IA next semester, and I'm trying to avoid the other professors that weed out students next semester too. lol so that's a dilemma.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: General Chemistry 1
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:13:05 PM »
I don't know what those various math courses cover.  For general chemistry you'll basically need to know how to solve equations with unknowns, including multiple simultaneous equations in some cases. You'll need to be familiar with logarithms and exponential functions, how to plot them and interpret them, and how to interconvert between them.

I would take the more advanced general chemistry class.  As a premed you'll have to take organic chemistry, and you'll have to pass the MCAT, both of which require a solid foundation in chemistry.

As to whether you should take precalculus, well that's up to you of course. How far do you plan to go in natural science? My philosophy is that everyone who plans to do anything in a scientific discipline, and I'd include medicine, should have some working knowledge of calculus.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Technologic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Thank you so much!

Here's the math it covers,

Introductory Algebra: Topics include operations with signed numbers, translation from words into mathematical language, introduction to operations with polynomials and factoring polynomials, linear equations and inequalities, graphing, radicals, and quadratic equations.

Intermediate Algebra: Topics include operations with signed numbers, translation from words into mathematical language, introduction to operations with polynomials and factoring polynomials, linear equations and inequalities, graphing, radicals, and quadratic equations.

Precalculus: Topics include equations and inequalities; linear, quadratic, polynomial, rational, logarithmic, exponential and trigonometric functions along with their graphs; application of these functions.

I'll be taking Precalculus this semester, and I believe that's a prerequisite for General Chem IA. I have a feeling i'll be fine, but I want to be extra careful b/c I hear the science GPA and the MCAT scores are very important to med school admissions. I'm a Biological Science major, but I may change it to Bioengineering only if the bioengineering courses seem to be more enjoyable than biology. Chemistry class begins next week, and I think I'll take the General Chem 1A course. I'm getting excited about chemistry class b/c I've been wanting to take chemistry for awhile now. A little overwhelming due to choices i guess lol

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:57:43 AM »
I don't see any difference between introductory and intermediate algebra.

Precalculus - as defined - is a must.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links