April 19, 2024, 07:37:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What comes after AP Chemistry  (Read 7637 times)

Offline lotu314

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What comes after AP Chemistry
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
I am entering my senior year at high school, and I excelled at the chemistry classes at my high school. I easily got a 5 on the AP exam and an 800 in the chem sat II. The school has presented me with an independent study to conduct independent research in the field of chemistry. I figured it would be a good use of my time to pick away at whatever I would take in college....however I don't really know where to begin.

I have unlimited access to the chem lab and would like to know what branches or topics of chemistry are typically taught after introductory chemistry in college. Could anyone suggest a experiments or concepts that I could explore? I just don't really know what comes next....

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: What comes after AP Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
Organic chemistry comes next.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline GabrielOPerez

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I'm taking Organic Chemistry this year; however, I took Physical Chemistry my freshman year. You seem like a smart fellow, and, if you can pick up calculus I & II, it might be advantageous to study P. Chem as well. It gave me some clarity that many students didn't have on the first few homework assignments in Organic. It's really just learning the math and physical relations that play a role in chemistry as a whole. It's a very neat course.

Offline lotu314

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »
Thank you so much for the input!

Sponsored Links