Specialty Chemistry Forums > Materials and Nanochemistry forum

Concrete chemistry

(1/2) > >>

mike:
Can somebody out there please explain to me the chemistry involved in concrete. Until today I had always assumed that it just "dried" and hardened. However it has been brought to my attention that there may be some sort of hydration reaction occuring, possibly exothermic I suppose. I would really like to know the chemistry involved in this process.

pantone159:
I can't really add anything myself, but you might try and take a look at:
J Chemical Education, Vol 80 No 6, Jun 2003, p 623-635, Cement: Its Chemistry and Properties.

mike:
Wow, great this is just what I needed, thanks. Anyone else interested in this topic should check out this article (I am just in the middle of reading it). :) :)

Pelle:
It seem the water is consumed to build complex structures of mainly calcium silicate hydrate, and not just drying. Apparently, one has improved the strength of concrete by adding substances with a carbon backbone and sulfate groups attached.

That's about what I could get out of my old textbook on general chemistry. I'm sure that article is more enlightening. :)

Mr. Moliarity:

--- Quote from: Mark Kness on February 23, 2006, 02:59:23 AM ---I can't really add anything myself, but you might try and take a look at:
J Chemical Education, Vol 80 No 6, Jun 2003, p 623-635, Cement: Its Chemistry and Properties.

--- End quote ---

Perfect!  Is there an online link to this?

Mr. Moliarity

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version