April 27, 2024, 10:14:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rhodium on carbon - how to produce it  (Read 4442 times)

Offline dumbsskull

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
  • I have no formal chemistry education.
Rhodium on carbon - how to produce it
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »
I have read the patent EP0219288B1 and think I have figured out how to get the rhodium onto the carbon but I'm not willing to try without asking first. I have to ask because I skipped some steps and to be honest I have no formal chemistry education. I'll be putting that in my profile so i don't have to say I every time.

Solid carbon granuals ar washed over 20 mesh screen to remove fines. The carbon is placed in a reaction vessel without allowing to dry.

A rhodium (3+) nitrate solution in deionized water with a ph of about 1. The pH value of this solution was adjusted to about 2 with aqueous sodium hydroxide solution prior to contacting with the carbon granules.

The rhodium (3+) nitrate solution (27 ml; pH 2) was poured over the carbon granules. Agitated by hand for 5 minutes. The rhodium (3+) nitrate solution introduced into the cylindrical vessel was observed to change color from amber to a hazy light yellow-green after about 20 minutes, and the pH of the aqueous suspension of the resulting rhodium-containing carbon granules was 7.7 for a period of one hour.

After standing about 18 hours, the rhodium (3+) nitrate-treated carbon granules were washed with distilled and deionized water.

rhodium on carbon

infinity big bangs

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Rhodium on carbon - how to produce it
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
No formal chemistry education, and no formal question in your post!
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline dumbsskull

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »
No formal chemistry education, and no formal question in your post!

good point...

My question is... Will this procedure produce "rhodium on carbon" or in other words solid carbon graduals coated in a thin layer of rhodium that will not fall off.

Solid carbon granuals ar washed over 20 mesh screen to remove fines. The carbon is placed in a reaction vessel without allowing to dry.

A rhodium (3+) nitrate solution in deionized water with a ph of about 1. The pH value of this solution was adjusted to about 2 with aqueous sodium hydroxide solution prior to contacting with the carbon granules.

The rhodium (3+) nitrate solution (27 ml; pH 2) was poured over the carbon granules. Agitated by hand for 5 minutes. The rhodium (3+) nitrate solution introduced into the cylindrical vessel was observed to change color from amber to a hazy light yellow-green after about 20 minutes, and the pH of the aqueous suspension of the resulting rhodium-containing carbon granules was 7.7 for a period of one hour.

After standing about 18 hours, the rhodium (3+) nitrate-treated carbon granules were washed with distilled and deionized water.

rhodium on carbon
infinity big bangs

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »
This method looks like it just produces a Rh(3+) coating on the carbon surface. Rhodium metal will not be deposited on the surface using this method. Which is what you require, I am guessing that is what you want.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline dumbsskull

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »
yes that is what I want. I want to produce rhodium on carbon catalyst. 
infinity big bangs

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »
Said carbon in the patent is porous, with typical size like 5nm. It matters.

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
The part you quoted just gets Rh(III) ions stuck on the carbon. It doesn't turn to metal until you do the hydrogenation, which is the next step.

Sponsored Links