April 26, 2024, 01:51:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2 examples of why lithium would not be ideal for boatbuilding.  (Read 5337 times)

jesse.counter

2 examples of why lithium would not be ideal for boatbuilding.
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:26:31 PM »
I have a question to answer on why lithium would not be good for boat building, even though it has a very low density.

I ruled out melting/boiling point because both are higher than any temperature a boat would be in..

But i was thinking it might have something to do with a reaction to water, or something along those lines?

Would anyone be able to provide assistance? any help is apreciated

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re:2 examples of why lithium would not be ideal for boatbuilding.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:36:59 PM »
But i was thinking it might have something to do with a reaction to water, or something along those lines?

Correct! Here is what wikipedia says: "Lithium will ignite and burn when exposed to oxygen and water. It is the only metal that reacts with nitrogen at room temperature. Lithium in its pure form is highly flammable and slightly explosive when exposed to air and especially water. Lithium fires are difficult to extinguish, requiring special chemicals designed to smother them. Lithium metal is also corrosive and requires special handling to avoid skin contact."

It is also quite expensive and not very srong so can be cut easily with a knife.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:39:23 PM »
I would agree with your statement that it would be too reactive with water. I think the boat would quite rapidly react with the water and therefore be quite useless.

You could possibly use an Aluminium Lithium alloy for some parts of a boat, although I am no expert on this. I know they can use this in spaceships, rockets, planes etc
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 06:46:22 PM by mike »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 01:09:34 AM »
Lithium reacts with water, with oxygen and with nitrogen easily (Li3N)
AWK

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 07:38:26 PM »
I think the general is consensus is if you build a boat out of elemental lithium, given it's still around by the time you can get it in the water (which would be nearly impossible because it'll react with the air as you try to build the boat), it will burn like crazy.

On the other hand, like mike says, in alloys it may work fairly well. I'm no metallurgist though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:39:46 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline arnyk

• Mole Snacks: +4/-3
  • D'oh!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 07:42:13 PM »
It will explode.  :D

Much like all the alkali metals.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »
So I guess we have one reason. Like will17 said the other reason is that lithium would be expensive and hard to work with.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links