April 18, 2024, 06:34:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Diethyl Ether disposal?  (Read 13173 times)

Offline randall123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Diethyl Ether disposal?
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »
Hi,
I should probably start by stating that my grasp on chemistry is quite limited, having only completed high school level courses.

However, I have read a bit about Diethyl Ether, enough to know that it is pretty flammable and that overtime something called peroxides build up in it making it even more hazardous.

My question should be an easy one though, as it averts having to test for peroxides.

Assuming that one had a small quantity (say 500 mls?) of 99% pure, fresh-off-the-chemical-supplier's-shelf Diethyl Ether, what would be the easiest and safest way to dispose of said Diethyl Ether?

Much thanks in advance,
Randall :)

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Diethyl Ether disposal?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
Let it dry out in a well ventilated area.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline randall123

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
Thanks for the response.

That's what I thought initially, but then I read that Ether can explode at relatively low temperatures without an open flame even being present.

It is still summer, so I feel somewhat hesitant to just pour it in a bowl and stick it outside, for fear that it could get a little too hot.

Am I simply being paranoid or is this a rational concern?

P.S. I assume when you say "well ventilated area" you mean outside, bearing in mind that I don't have access to anything as professional as, say, a fume hood.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
Yes, outside will do.

Just put it in the shadow. Ether has a relatively high heat of evaporation, so it nicely cools down when drying. Peroxides are quite volatile too, so they will disappear the same way. To make sure it all went away you can wait a few hours after the jar looks already empty.

While it definitely CAN explode, it is not that eager to do so. For years I have been using it to put butterflies to sleep, without any problems. Just be reasonably cautious.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline randall123

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »
Thanks for the information, Borek!
It's been very helpful!

One more quick question though, am I correct in assuming ether evaporates much faster than water?
If so, how much faster?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
After some GOOGLE time I came up with this page

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/liquids/vpress.html

It discusses vapor pressure
it gave this chart
substance         vapor pressure at 25 C
diethyl ether     0.7 atm
bromine           0.3 atm
ethyl alcohol     0.08 atm
water             0.03 atm

The rate of evaporation depends on many things to include
temperature, pressure, etc

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »
One more quick question though, am I correct in assuming ether evaporates much faster than water?
If so, how much faster?

As Bill wrote, there is no easy answer to this question. Looking at vapor pressures, tens times faster at least.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »
I don't have a big disagreement, but I probably would alter this method. A reason ether poses a danger is also due to the ease of concentrating peroxides. That is, the volatility increases the potential that peroxides become concentrated as the ether evaporates. Other ether or other compounds also form peroxides, but they don't evaporate as readily. If they are heated to boil off the material, this will also decompose any peroxides. If the ether really did contain a significant amount of peroxides, letting it evaporate could leave a peroxide residue. I'd prefer to add some ethanol to the ether in allowing the evaporation. It won't concentrate just to peroxides and ethanol can react (add acid?) with any present.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
If ethanol decomposes peroxides that's probably a good idea. I was under impression controlled decomposition is not that easy.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »
If ethanol decomposes peroxides that's probably a good idea. I was under impression controlled decomposition is not that easy.

Ethanol is often added to reduce peroxide formation. I was suggesting it to reduce the degree of concentration. It would be best to treat it like an ozonization reaction with an oxidative workup. I think simply preventing the concentration might be sufficient. The decomposition might/should become auto-catalytic. Decomposition of a peroxide should produce some acetaldehyde which can oxidize to acetic acid. Acetic acid can react with hydrogen peroxide to form per acetic acid. Heating this will decompose to acetic acid plus oxygen, or something like that.

I as trying for something between bomb squad and blissful optimism. The danger is when you hear of some insoluble material or white powder with the diethyl ether. Not knowing, i was just suggesting to dump in some ethanol.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 05:10:03 AM »
Isn't testing for peroxides a simpler alternative?

Offline antimatter101

• Mole Snacks: +9/-26
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:27:33 AM »
Aren't ethers chemically inert? Then why do they react to form peroxides? Usually they are only cleaved by strong acids.

Offline Altered State

• Mole Snacks: +24/-4
    • Chemistry Hall
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »
Aren't ethers chemically inert? Then why do they react to form peroxides? Usually they are only cleaved by strong acids.

Ethers undergo a relatively slow autooxidation reaction in presence of oxygen (open air) or UV radiation to form (explosive) peroxides.
This is a free radical proccess that is favoured in ehters like diisopropylether, which can form very stable radicals.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 01:48:40 AM »
With all the posts below (above), it is not resolved for me on disposal.
Can we mix with 95% ethanol or denatured ethanol (ethanol and methanol mix) the Diethyl Ether (with possible peroxides) and burn it in an alcohol lamp?
Would this be too dangerous.
It would be a way to convert the possible issues to just carbon dioxide and water.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »
Why not burn the ether?

Sponsored Links