April 29, 2024, 03:02:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Using Calcium Hypochlorite as moss killer  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Mr.Clean

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Using Calcium Hypochlorite as moss killer
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
I am seeking some advice in applied chemistry.  I currently use a backpack sprayer filled with a 2.5% sodium hypochlorite solution to spray on my roof to kill moss.  Very effective but heavy and cumbersome on a roof.  I thought I might use a hose end sprayer filled with calcium hypochlorite powder.  Does anyone know about what kind of concentration of calcium hypochlorite would be equatable to the sodium hypochlorite?  Also will larger plants and grasses be killed by the run off from using calcium hypochlorite?  Any information or ideas are appreciated.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Using Calcium Hypochlorite as moss killer
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
Assuming it is just a concentration/amount of hypochlorite anions that is responsible for the effectiveness of the solution it is about 1:1 mass ratio - so you are not saving on mass when using calcium hypochlorite when compared to sodium hypochlorite. It can be cheaper (or more expensive) depending on the substance price, but no difference mass-wise.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links