April 16, 2024, 04:13:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate Solubility Curve  (Read 16475 times)

Offline PASouza

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate Solubility Curve
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new on this forum, so forgive me if I'm posting it in wrong section. Also, I'm from Brazil, sorry for my bad english.

I need the magnesium sulfate heptahydrate solubility curve, to make some mass balances. Can someone post it please? I will be grateful.

Offline Nobby

• Mole Snacks: +12/-16
  • Vena lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate Solubility Curve
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »

Offline PASouza

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »
Hi, thanks for your feedback, but I need heptaydrate and not anhydrous, I will crystallize this salt, so I need his solubility from 0°C to 100°C or more

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »
Hello, if you know the soloubilty of the anhydrous salt then you can calculate it also for the aqueous salt.

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
Hello, if you know the soloubilty of the anhydrous salt then you can calculate it also for the aqueous salt.
this would be true, if the anhydrous salt was the form that would crystallize from oversaturated solutions in all cases.
unfortunately, there are examples where this is not the case (for example with sulfates like Na2SO4 or K2SO4, respectively: those would crystallize as polyhydrates (below 30°C in case of Na2SO4 , that is, and with decreasing solubility at increasing temperature from there on )

So, if the original poster was interested in the precipitation of a well-definded hydrate, at least he would need to know the temperature range at which this type of hydrate will occur from oversaturated solutions, additionally

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline PASouza

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »

And how I can make it? Thanks

Offline PASouza

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
this would be true, if the anhydrous salt was the form that would crystallize from oversaturated solutions in all cases.
unfortunately, there are examples where this is not the case (for example with sulfates like Na2SO4 or K2SO4, respectively: those would crystallize as polyhydrates (below 30°C in case of Na2SO4 , that is, and with decreasing solubility at increasing temperature from there on )

So, if the original poster was interested in the precipitation of a well-definded hydrate, at least he would need to know the temperature range at which this type of hydrate will occur from oversaturated solutions, additionally

regards

Ingo

Let me explain.. I need to know which temperature MgSO4 has higher solubility, heat until this temperature and then cool down.

PS: Sorry for double-post

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
Let me explain.. I need to know which temperature MgSO4 has higher solubility, heat until this temperature and then cool down.

It doesn't guarantee you will get a heptahydrate, it can produce a hexahydrate as well.

Generally speaking magnesium sulfate solubility grows with temperature. Only slightly, but it grows.

Have you tried something like CRC handbook or something?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline PASouza

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »

It doesn't guarantee you will get a heptahydrate, it can produce a hexahydrate as well.

Generally speaking magnesium sulfate solubility grows with temperature. Only slightly, but it grows.

Have you tried something like CRC handbook or something?

No, I didn't.. but I need a concrete value to make my mass balances, I have an old paper who says "Epson Salt has higher solubility at 107ºC" but I need to make sure.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:22:35 AM »
So go to the library and check the book.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:31 AM »

regards

Ingo

Does the most hydrated form crystallize out in most cases? That'd be my naive hunch.

Online Hunter2

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 05:21:51 AM »
@ PAsouza

if you have the table of the anhydrous salt, then you can calculate

mAnhyd/MAnhyd = mhepta/Mhepta

in case of magnesium sulfate if you want to dissolve 20 g Anhydrous salt

20g/120,36 g/mol = x g/246,47 g/mol

x = 40,96 g

In my opinion it doesn't matter what is real crystallization behavior as magican4 mentioned. Important is to get a saturated solution. In case of it will crystallize Hexa-hydrate or something else, then the whole experiment makes no sense.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:32:03 AM by Hunter2 »

Offline PASouza

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »
@ PAsouza

if you have the table of the anhydrous salt, then you can calculate

mAnhyd/MAnhyd = mhepta/Mhepta

in case of magnesium sulfate if you want to dissolve 20 g Anhydrous salt

20g/120,36 g/mol = x g/246,47 g/mol

x = 40,96 g

In my opinion it doesn't matter what is real crystallization behavior as magican4 mentioned. Important is to get a saturated solution. In case of it will crystallize Hexa-hydrate or something else, then the whole experiment makes no sense.

Can this formula be used in any temperature? If I know anhydrous solubility at 100ºC, can I discover heptahydrate solubility at the sabe temperature?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:16:28 PM by PASouza »

Online Hunter2

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »
Yes, I think so.

Offline PASouza

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:53 PM »
Ok, thanks for help..