April 19, 2024, 01:37:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the difference between a detergent and chaotropic agent?  (Read 10876 times)

Offline Cooper

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
  • Undergraduate Biochemistry Major Class of 2015
Hi,

I'm having a hard time distinguishing between detergents and chaotropic agents. As far as I can tell, they are both molecules that make hydrophobic groups more soluble and therefore denature proteins.

Any help?

Thanks,
Cooper
~Cooper :)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: What is the difference between a detergent and chaotropic agent?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
I would probably classify most strong detergents (e.g. SDS and other ionic detergents) as chaotropic agents, but some of the weaker non-ionic detergents (e.g. tween-20, NP-40) don't denature protein so they probably would not be classified as chaotropic agents.

Although detergents are one way of denaturing proteins by solublizing the hydrophobic groups in the interior of proteins, other non-detergent substances are capable doing this such as various organic solvents (e.g. phenol).  Other types of chaotropic agents can denature proteins in other ways too.  For example, urea and guanidinium denature proteins by interfering with hydrogen bonding.

Offline Cooper

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
  • Undergraduate Biochemistry Major Class of 2015
Re: What is the difference between a detergent and chaotropic agent?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
I would probably classify most strong detergents (e.g. SDS and other ionic detergents) as chaotropic agents, but some of the weaker non-ionic detergents (e.g. tween-20, NP-40) don't denature protein so they probably would not be classified as chaotropic agents.

Although detergents are one way of denaturing proteins by solublizing the hydrophobic groups in the interior of proteins, other non-detergent substances are capable doing this such as various organic solvents (e.g. phenol).  Other types of chaotropic agents can denature proteins in other ways too.  For example, urea and guanidinium denature proteins by interfering with hydrogen bonding.

Thanks for the info :)
~Cooper :)

Sponsored Links