April 28, 2024, 06:56:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quasistatic and Reversible Processes:  (Read 1896 times)

Offline MaxShlochz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Quasistatic and Reversible Processes:
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »
Hello,
I wanted to ask about the Reversible Process:
I understand completely the idea of the Quasistatic process and that the Reversible is a Quasistatic process, only that it has another important factor which is that there will be not energy loss whatsoever in the system.

The video I watched, (from KhanAcademy) explained that at the example of a container and a piston, once we lessen the weight that the piston is pushing down on the particles, it will obviously pull up, (I'm obviously talking about an infinitesimal amount of mass removed) and it will create some kind of heat and that acts as energy loss.

I didn't really understand why is the factor of energy loss is important to the Reversible process and why is that energy lost? where did it go?

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Quasistatic and Reversible Processes:
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I didn't really understand why is the factor of energy loss is important to the Reversible process and why is that energy lost?
without the energy loss, the particle won't become something new (i.e. "product") , but would remain "exited" instead
hence, nothing would happen
hence, there would be nothing you could call a "process"

where did it go?
to other particles in the system (for example by collision) , thereby "exciting" them, so now they can keep on "processing"

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline MaxShlochz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Quasistatic and Reversible Processes:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
without the energy loss, the particle won't become something new (i.e. "product") , but would remain "exited" instead
hence, nothing would happen
hence, there would be nothing you could call a "process"

I'm having a tough time understanding this, can you please explain exactly the same thing you just explained only in the form of an example?

(The best example would be the same one with the piston that has weight on it and it's pushing down on a container filled with some kind of a gas and we take an infinitesimal amount of mass each time out the weight the piston applies and with that, it's applying friction at the sides of the container)

to other particles in the system (for example by collision) , thereby "exciting" them, so now they can keep on "processing"

Out of what I understood from this sentence, you mean that the lost energy will be transformed into the kinetic energy of the particles that are in the system?

Sponsored Links