April 26, 2024, 07:44:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Censorship in this forum  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Censorship in this forum
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
Hello readers
I feel a little bit upset here, that posting gets earased and to get a anonymous message  :

You have just been sent a personal message by Chemical Forums on Chemical Forums.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:

Please don't give final answers.

It's a shame that  somebody hides behind an anonymous message. So no way to answer or fight back.
I know the rules here, that we shouldn't solve homework of other people and give the answers, but in
my opinion  sometimes a final answer has more learning effect as to have a 10 times posting thread where the TES at the end gives up or dont understand. I know the rules here.

I find the rules to hard. Of course if somebody asked to make explosives, drugs, etc, he should be banned and messages are erased. But to put people on the same step who give a solution in advance is a little bit to hard.

Who is the king or queen here to decide, what is right or not. For my side I dont elect him or her.

And please don't answer it's your choice to leave the forum, it is to easy.

Thanks for reading.

German citizien
Chemist engineer

By the way what are mole snacks?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Censorship in this forum
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »
It is not a censorship, it is enforcing forum rules. Any mod can do it. Sadly, these messages are anonymous - that's the way system is designed, it is not something that can be easily changed. If it is the latest warning you got, it was sent by me.

Yesterday you have not even tried to point the OP in the right direction. Question (a trivial one) was asked 6:15 AM my time, 7:12 AM you posted the work and the final numerical answer, and it was the very first answer in the thread.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »
Hello Hunter2
your stats
Date Registered: June 11, 2011, 01:32:18 AM

You have been an active participant on this forum for a long time
And, I for one appreciate that
But, we set up rules to enhance learning via the Socratic method

I and every other admin/mod supports this
you would have to blame us all
And, I think you know all the staff here as well as people that are very active (like you) put in a lot of effort to make this work
We do not need to be used by the lazy
Keep posting and enjoy your stay here - it is a great place to be
Bill

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
I tend to sign my Mod messages, but I sometimes forget.  But I'll remember from now on.  Like Borek: I also disagree with your definition of censorship -- that's a loaded word, it has other connotations above and beyond a simple reminder about the rules.  Its a favorite word for kiddie drug cookers, and wanna be terror bomb makers, who come to this forum and demand the rules,that were laid down by Mitch: and Borek: now need to be amended.  I recognize that you're disappointed at criticism Hunter2:, but do you really want to join that elite group of posters?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
As a non-mod, your definition of censorship is wrong.   It is only censorship when committed by the government.  If you walk in to your neighbor's house and take your pants off and start helicoptering your junk in his face while spouting the joys of Marxism, when he tells you to stop it is not censorship, he is exerting his rights to his private property.

This site is the private property of Mitch and as such what he says goes, whether you agree with it or not.  I don't agree with all the rules (mostly the swear filter and ban on explosives synthesis discussion), but not being able to talk about those here does not mean it is censorship; I get to swear as much as I want in person, and get to talk about making explosives in the literature.  Despite not agreeing with all the rules, I still contribute here, mostly because chemistry is f&#^$*@ awesome. 

Mole snacks are this way to give points to people that help others or take them from those that post wrong information, in theory.   They are also a way to be passive aggressive towards people you like or do not like.  Not sure which way it is used most. 

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:31:04 AM »
Who is the king or queen here to decide, what is right or not. For my side I dont elect him or her.

Were kings / queens ever elected?   ;D

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 12:54:05 AM »
I will point out one shortcoming of the current status quo, if I may. Please treat it as a suggestion more than a complaint:

We obviously annoyed @Hunter2 here by "censoring" his hard-produced work. But did we do anything to the poster?

I find tons of variants of  "Please just give me an answer ASAP" / "What's the answer; I can't be bothered to show my attempt" or similar posts.

Or guys who will copy a long Home-Work verbatim. Or worse post entire pdf's and expect people to look within to help them. Or people who post entirely in textspeak, sans punctuation or capitals.

Lots of repeat offenders too.

My impression is we ought to be a tad more aggressive in policing these infractions. If we won't let people post lazy questions (no attempt shown) people like @Hunter2 won't be placed in these  iffy situations where they are tempted to give such direct answers, in violation of rules.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 03:41:21 AM »
But did we do anything to the poster?

Usually yes, we send a warning, or warn (if it is a first offense) in the thread. Sadly, when the answer was already given it doesn't make much sense.

My impression is we ought to be a tad more aggressive in policing these infractions. If we won't let people post lazy questions (no attempt shown) people like @Hunter2 won't be placed in these  iffy situations where they are tempted to give such direct answers, in violation of rules.

At the moment we have 7 mods/admins that can react in such situations - and I believe the team is doing a good job. Please remember we are volunteers, working here in our free time, so we can't guarantee we will react instantly. There will be always a time window where such post is visible. In this particular case it was left unattended for less than one hour.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 03:47:19 AM »

At the moment we have 7 mods/admins that can react in such situations - and I believe the team is doing a good job. Please remember we are volunteers, working here in our free time, so we can't guarantee we will react instantly. There will be always a time window where such post is visible. In this particular case it was left unattended for less than one hour.

Fair enough. I may have been not clear, sorry: I wasn' meaning to say Do it Faster!

So long as we keep the silly post : total post ratio low it's a job well done.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 04:01:11 AM »
Thanks for reading and answering.

Sponsored Links