March 29, 2024, 06:03:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Belgrade International student competitions in Analytical Chemistry  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Does anyone know where I can find the questions (preferably in English) for the International Student Competitions in Analytical Chemistry which previously were held at Belgrade University? This article discusses the competition but omits most of the problems for obvious reasons: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00488351#page-1

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Belgrade International student competitions in Analytical Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
It was called ICAC (International Competition in Analytical Chemistry) and it was held in other places as well. In early-mid-eighties thrice in Hungary - twice in Veszprem and once in Szeged. At least, that's the three times I was there. If memory serves me well I finished fourth in Veszprem in '83 or '84 (we took second place as a team), but I am not sure about details.

But no, I don't have questions, even if I had some of them. Three moves equals one house fire, and I moved more than thrice.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
It was called ICAC (International Competition in Analytical Chemistry) and it was held in other places as well. In early-mid-eighties thrice in Hungary - twice in Veszprem and once in Szeged. At least, that's the three times I was there. If memory serves me well I finished fourth in Veszprem in '83 or '84 (we took second place as a team), but I am not sure about details.

Ah, well done! You were an undergraduate then?

But no, I don't have questions, even if I had some of them. Three moves equals one house fire, and I moved more than thrice.

Interesting. It is a shame you don't have any questions. The couple I have tried were both enjoyable.

Do you know of any other undergraduate or post high-school chemistry competitions at a regional, national or international level?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
You were an undergraduate then?

Polish system (which was not much different from other countries involved) didn't differentiate between graduate/undergraduate at the time (and AFAIK it doesn't now). There was no BSc, but after 5 years you were getting MSc, then you could follow with PhD (it wasn't possible to make PhD without finishing MSc first). Trying to compare to US standards some of participants would be undergraduates, some would be graduates, if memory serves me well I would count as undergraduate twice and as graduate once.

Do you know of any other undergraduate or post high-school chemistry competitions at a regional, national or international level?

No, ICAC is (or rather was) the only one I was aware of, and it was limited mostly to Eastern Europe. I believe once a team from the western Europe participated in the competition, but I am not sure.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links