April 24, 2024, 02:22:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to get in to a top university for PhD?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Mr.A

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
How to get in to a top university for PhD?
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
Iam currently following a special degree program in chemistry , After this Im willing to do a PhD in medicinal chemistry and to initiate my career as a researcher , medicinal chemist. Its one of my targets to join a top university like MIT , Harvard in USA for my post graduate studies. What i wanna know is , is there any full or half scholarships they award? even to work while as a research or a teaching assistance? what is the rough amount of financial needs will be needed to get in and to complete a PhD degree? I will be really very grateful for guidance.. :) :) :)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: How to get in to a top university for PhD?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Most of the time you start as a teaching assistant, which covers all tuition and stipend. Once you join a lab, you can apply for a personal graduate fellowship through, e.g., HHMI or NSF.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
How to get in to a top university for PhD?

Start by improving upon Professional communication skills....

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
Most of the time you start as a teaching assistant, which covers all tuition and stipend. Once you join a lab, you can apply for a personal graduate fellowship through, e.g., HHMI or NSF.

I suspect ("....in USA") that he's non-American. Ergo, HHMI or NSF are a long shot.

Offline Mr.A

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
Im still following my degree and, theres about one more year to go. Im willing to start my further studies with no delays. So can anyone please what is the opportunity for a non-American at a top university like i mentioned for a PhD , and the financial need and the background for it?.. I have no any idea... thanks :)

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
You need as many publications as possible if you want to have the best chance.  So work your ass off, whore yourself out, just do what it takes to get as many publications as possible.

Financial:  No clue, beyond the fact you will likely get a stipend from TAing that lets you live around the poverty line.  But if you have funding from elsewhere (scholarship for any location, self-employed, family money) you may see some advantages during the application and the group selection process as you will not cost them money.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:39:32 AM »
You could have written a response here instead of messaging me privately. 

Do research as an undergrad.  Obtain publications. Publications are pretty much academic currency.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 01:46:11 AM »
You need as many publications as possible if you want to have the best chance.  So work your ass off, whore yourself out, just do what it takes to get as many publications as possible.

Funnily, you'll do this (whoring, working ass off, obsessive publishing) in order to get in and then be rewarded by.....bingo...doing more of it (whoring, working ass off, obsessive publishing) in grad school.

So, do think again, and again, and again. Till you convince yourself strongly that a PhD is indeed what you want. 

Sponsored Links