April 27, 2024, 03:45:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bio-diesel Experiment Proposition  (Read 15651 times)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:Bio-diesel Experiment Proposition
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 01:19:43 PM »
In the production of bio-diesel, methanol or ethanol is combined with sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide (respectively) and then used as a reactant with vegetable oil to produce the final product. If we were to get as many of the constituents for making bio-diesel from renewable resources, it would be most beneficial to use plant matter to produce the alcohol. It appears that methanol is easier to use than the ethanol. It is most likely that sodium hydroxide is easier to acquire than potassium hydroxide. But, the ethanol appears to be easier to generate naturally. Thus we have a problem as to which reactants to use. I have asked the question on how to produce methanol from natural sources. I want to make sure that the ethanol is easier to produce and less of an energy drain during the production process. The pathway for ethanol production would be similar to how we produce grain vodka. But, how would we create methanol.

I can see 3 methods of producing methanol that might work.
Use bacteria to create the methanol directly.
Use the wood alcohol method.
Use bacteria to create methane and then convert that to methanol.

I have not had any experience with these 3 methods, so I cast my question to the list. Does anyone know specifics methanol creation. Breaking down petrochemicals is not an option. It would be most helpful if the explanation is more in-depth than distilling wood.

Thanks in advance.

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 07:56:56 PM »
Some research around methanol production using Sugar beets.  Not much info here but it is interesting:

http://www.methanol.org/pdfFrame.cfm?pdf=RenewableBioMethanolFromSugarBeetPulp.pdf

Joe

Edit:  I can't fix the link for some reason.  Be sure to copy it to your browser rather than trying to hyperlink it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 10:04:21 AM by joeflsts »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 09:06:09 PM »
If I understand the process, it appears that methanol production from vegetable matter is more complicated and uses more energy than ethanol production.

Sponsored Links