April 29, 2024, 02:45:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gilman reagent addition to alkyne  (Read 6093 times)

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
Gilman reagent addition to alkyne
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
I was proposed a question from a friend of mine about how a reaction would proceed.  I have an idea but have never seen some of the conditions.

The question is:

1-Heptyne is reacted with:

1) Lithium dimehtylcuprate (Gilman reagent); N-bromosuccinimide (NBS)
2) Mg (gound state metal), Acetonitrile, H3O+
3) Dilithium dimethylcyano cuprate (Modified Gilman)

For the first set of conditions my initial thought was the Gilman reagent would have to react the acidic proton of the terminal alkyne.  But I feel that I am missing something and it is possible to alkylate this compound.  I have read that Gilman reagents can reduce internal alkynes to cis alkenes.  Can it do the same for terminal.  Is the product a terminal alkene and then allylic bromination with NBS?  That makes some sense.

For the second reaction it has to be a grignard and then addition of the grignard to acetonitrile followed by acidic work-up to produce the ketone.

The last reaction is where I am stumped.  Gilman reagents add via 1,4-conjugate addition.  This is done though with alpha beta unsaturated ketones (allylic ketones).  Here it will be a homo allylic moiety. 

All answers are appreciated!

Cheers!
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Gilman reagent addition to alkyne
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
Okay, I didn't know either. I had to look this up. Gilman reagents will add to terminal acetylenes. NBS will convert the cuprate to a bromide, Mg to Grignard, acetonitrile to conjugated ketone, and second Gilman to conjugate addition. Good question.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
Thanks Orgopete.

So my initial gut feeling was correct.  It will abstract the proton producing a cuprate complex and the NBS/cuprate will allow the bromine to add to the terminal acetylene.  This is cool chemistry, im sure it is oxidative addition and not Sn2 with this particular cuprate.  So cool. 

If you could tell me or direct me to where you found the details on acetylenic cuprates and the NBS that would be swell.  Thanks again

Cheers!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »
Thanks Orgopete.

So my initial gut feeling was correct.  It will abstract the proton producing a cuprate complex

No, that's not what Orgopete said. You will get carbocupration of the triple bond.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_of_organocopper_reagents#Stoichiometric_Reactions_of_Organocopper_Compounds
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline AlphaScent

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
Dan,

Ok, I was wrong it is not extraction at all.  Insertion of the lithium dimethylcuprate to the terminal triple bond forming carbocupration.  I attached a scheme of what I have to understand the reaction scheme to look like.  I was told not to attach pdf so I did png.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Almost. The Gilman donated a methyl group at one end and a copper at the other. The copper becomes the bromine and the rest as shown.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links