April 29, 2024, 12:46:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sulfide - sulfdioxide oxidation  (Read 2120 times)

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
sulfide - sulfdioxide oxidation
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Hi y'all,

working on the oxidation of CH3-O-C2H4-S-C2H4-OH to CH3-O-C2H4-SO2-C2H4-OH , I found different examples for -S-  :rarrow: -SO2- in literature: mainly those using H2O2 in aqueous acetate buffer directly, and those using Na2WO4 as an additional catalyst.
Aside from this, there seemed to be only minor differences with respect to yield, temperature, concentration..

Though I'm aware that Na2WO4 is a catalyst in oxidation ( esp. for formation of olefins by catalytic dehydrogenation), I fail to see how it should have a special function in this transformation.

Anybody has experience in this, or has an idea whether I'd be better off with or without it, in my special case?

tnx for all your ideas

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: sulfide - sulfdioxide oxidation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:20:17 AM »
Hi Ingo,

I can't offer too much help here as I have little experience of the complete oxidation of sulphides to sulphones.

However during a synthesis of tetrahydro-2H-thiopyran 1-oxide, I used H2O2 and as I recall there was little or no dioxide present. This may be due to the fact that this was a cyclic compound and complete oxidation was not favoured but Perhaps the catalyst, Na2WO4, aids in the complete oxidation of the sulphur rather than partial oxidation.

Needless to say my lab book is woefully inadequate (it is very old now) with details for this experiment detailing just the scheme, yield and the reference I was working from.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo01031a025

I am sorry I can't offer any more help than this, I avoid sulphur where I can these days.

Kind regards

Archer
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:02:20 AM »
m-CPBA is also a pretty good bet for this transformation, if the catalytic reaction you described is proving tricky...

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
@ Archer

most probably, the outcome in your case was the "low - temperature - without - catalyst" type

(picture taken from: link)

@ clarkstill , Archer

I take it that in my case the acetic acid ( from the acetate buffer) would provide CH3CO-OOH, which should be approx. comparable to m-CPBA, esp. at ~ 80°C

what I mostly am worried about is the -O- function, and how it might be sensible to hydroperoxide-formation with H2O2/AcOH/Ac-   , and how Na2WO4 might fit into the picture here

... and I didn't want to learn about this the hard way

that's why I wanted to avoid anything that might not be absolutely necessary in the setup

anyway, thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts with me

regards

Ingo

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links