April 19, 2024, 03:10:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What to expect as a chemist  (Read 4021 times)

Offline MetalicTransition

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What to expect as a chemist
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »
I have always had a love for chemistry but was worried about the job outlook for the industry, and majored in computer science. Now I am having second thoughts, but i still don't want to be stuck teaching or simply doing research. I want to actually be inside a lab working with chemicals and combining solutions; dealing with acid and using advanced technology. What are the job titles that provide this type of work environment and is it likely to be an entry level position or would I need to have a large amount of education?

Also I'm sure that chemistry is not only mixing, applause, and awe. So what can I expect to deal with on a regular basis if i obtained a job in a laboratory setting?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: What to expect as a chemist
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:34:01 AM »
i still don't want to be stuck teaching or simply doing research. I want to actually be inside a lab working with chemicals and combining solutions; dealing with acid and using advanced technology.

What makes you think "doing research" will not involve "combining solutions; dealing with acid and using advanced technology. "

It very often will.

Also I'm sure that chemistry is not only mixing, applause, and awe. So what can I expect to deal with on a regular basis if i obtained a job in a laboratory setting?

Cleaning, scrubbing, washing dishes (ok glassware), removing broken glass, hours in the library poring over dusty tomes.

Reading, lots of reading, paperwork, tinkering with equipment. Waiting. Thinking. Moving cylinders. Stalking the mail-room.

Setting fires. Extinguishing fires. Learning to love horrid smells.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
Yeah..Expect this but without awe and applause. If you are not doing computer chemistry its just this. mixing solutons.. ¨(if you wont be doing solid phase synthesis)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:47:15 AM »

i still don't want to be stuck teaching or simply doing research. I want to actually be inside a lab working with chemicals and combining solutions; dealing with acid and using advanced technology.

What makes you think "doing research" will not involve "combining solutions; dealing with acid and using advanced technology. "

It very often will.

Cleaning, scrubbing, washing dishes (ok glassware), removing broken glass, hours in the library poring over dusty tomes.

Reading, lots of reading, paperwork, tinkering with equipment. Waiting. Thinking. Moving cylinders. Stalking the mail-room.

Setting fires. Extinguishing fires. Learning to love horrid smells.

Add pouring over data trying to make sense of it all to the list!

If you are not in research then you are likely to be in industry where it can be a lot of tedious paperwork in addition to the bench stuff, the further up the chain you go you see more paper and less bench in my experience.

If you have a love of chemistry then study it, you will find that whatever job you do you will love it because it is chemistry.

“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links