April 18, 2024, 07:20:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Salts dissolving in water, enthalpy  (Read 2570 times)

Offline zujca

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Salts dissolving in water, enthalpy
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:56:35 AM »
So, we have a task at the chemistry class to choose a salt which will produce an exothermic reaction when dissolved in water and a salt which will produce an endothermic reaction when dissolved with water and do the experiment afterwards, measure the heat change and calculate the enthalpy of solution.
The only problem is, I don't know which salts to use so I'd ask for some examples for endothermic and exothermic reactions!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Salts dissolving in water, enthalpy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »
The only problem is, I don't know which salts to use so I'd ask for some examples for endothermic and exothermic reactions!

You need to find a book (these are typically found in a library  :P) or a page with solution enthalpies of different substances. CRC handbook is a sure place to find such a table.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline zujca

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Salts dissolving in water, enthalpy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »

You need to find a book (these are typically found in a library  :P) or a page with solution enthalpies of different substances. CRC handbook is a sure place to find such a table.
Okay, thanks. Wanted to do it throughout the weekend, but since I live in a village, I have no library nearby, so I'll try with the online CRC handbook!

Sponsored Links